Saxophone Forum

by KCSaxGal
(46 posts)
20 years ago

Yamaha YTS-475 Tenor?

Can anyone tell me about the Yamaha YTS-475? Is it a good horn and what's the price point on it? The serial number I am looking at is 209XXX.. I think that makes is 2003?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Yamaha YTS-475 Tenor?

Last I checked, Yamaha serial numbers are non-sequential. You have to contact Yamaha to find out when it was made.

Reply To Post

1. by tenor562
      (297 posts)

20 years ago

I happened to test a YTS475 down in South Bend, IN when I was on my journey for a new tenor. I found it much better than my YTS23 that I had been borrowing from my school. The action was much quicker, it had a better tone, it looked better, it was a step up. The only reason I picked the YTS62II Lacquer tenor is that it had a tone that I really liked, and I was playing it with a standard 4C mouthpiece, I tried it against the Jupiter 889SG, the Selmer TS200, and the 62II. It beat out the Jupiter and the Selmer greatly, and did a good job. Another difference it had that made me opt for the 62II is that it was much easier to reach the high registers, and altissimo with the 62II. I had a friend at band camp who played a 475, and she had the same complaint. However, it easily beat out all the camp's tenors by a mile, and our instructor often pointed out that it was a great horn. Imagine, me and all the tenors stuck with banged up YTS23's and Jupiter Standard Series, and one beautiful YTS475. yea It was a good horn. But I do favor the 62II, and if money is no concern, reach higher!. Originally, I was going to get a Jupiter Deluxe last year, but I researched a lot more, and ended up getting twice as much, a 62II. So, take your time when looking for a new tenor, I went through wanting a lot of different horns. I went from Jupiter Standard, to Jupiter Deluxe, to Jupiter Artist to a really worn and bad shape Conn 10M, to a vintage Keilwerth to a Jupiter Artist to a Yamaha 475 to a YTS62II. And that's not counting the times surfing ebay where I really really liked the sax....... Yeah, you can tell it takes a while to choose a new horn. Overall, the 475 is a good horn, but the 62II has a much better tone. Good Luck with your horn searching!

Reply To Post

1. by KCSaxGal
        (46 posts)

20 years ago

hehe, posted my post looking for a picture of the silver yts-62II before I saw your reply to this one. Thanks for your input. What mouthpiece are you using on it? I think the 4C will do for the community band I play in and was thinking of maybe a Otto Link NY Metal for Jazz?

Reply To Post

1. by tenor562
          (297 posts)

19 years ago

I use the 4C, and am really looking for a change. An Otto Link NY Metal would probably work awesome on jazz. If you do get the 62II, be sure to tell me what mouthpiece works best on it, I'm still searching.

Reply To Post