Saxophone Forum

by CCHSbandgeek
(4 posts)
19 years ago

Sorpano Sax key

What is the sorprano sax's key? Is i Bb? and is there any music out there for it? I have been thinking about playing that, along side of play y alto. Any info out there for me, please help! I'm a freshman and I need some info about this, before I want to get into it.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by tenor562
    (297 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Sorpano Sax key

soprano sax is in the key of Bb, but they also have sopranos in C. B flat sopranos are more common. It remains to be an occasional jazz solo instrument, but often can play out of tenor parts. Soprano sax should never go into concert band, because it is very difficult to keep the instrument in tune, and it doesn't blend well with the band. Warren Hill is a good musician to listen to if you want an idea of what the soprano sax sounds like. Stay away from Kenny G, his high notes always end up out of tune. Good Luck

Reply To Post

1. by peter090
      (155 posts)

19 years ago

Soprano is in Bb. It is a very common double for a lead alto in big band. Nearly all the bands I've played with have at least some soprano lead in the book. There is quite a bit of sax quartet literature that is SATB rather than AATB as well. My point is it is becoming an increasling commonly used instrument but it should be used when called for in the score not because you feel like it. The sop is an octave higher than the tenor and has a different timbre.

Reply To Post

1. by karebear1012
        (395 posts)

19 years ago

if you're looking for soprano sax books, there arent many out there (at least around here)...you could always buy the trumpet or clarinet books -- i play soprano, but i always use my trumpet music and my sisters clarinet music because they're in the same key. yeah, you'll find lots of sopranos around..usually in higher level jazz ensembles. i'm lead sax in my jazz band, but my director won't let me play soprano as a double because he says it'll ruin my sense of pitch or something. cya, Kara

Reply To Post

2. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

19 years ago

"My point is it is becoming an increasling commonly used instrument but it should be used when called for in the score not because you feel like it. The sop is an octave higher than the tenor and has a different timbre." I'm repeating that because it's THAT important... Now, a person can BUY a sop because they want to, but it's up to the director to decide if said person could use it in a band.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM