Saxophone Forum

by MusicManDan
(6 posts)
9 years ago

Vintage pre-1920's in Concert Band (and everything else)?

EVERYTHING ELSE LIKE QUARTET,QUINTET,JAZZ,WIND ENSEMBLE,PIT AND OR "FULL" ORGESTRA THAT INCLUDES WINDS 

hello,ive been hunting for a new horn (perferably a Vintage as there sometimes cheaper) and ive sold my first tenor yesterday (5/20/15) as it was really beat up......what is yalls opinon on a 1910's (or somwhere close like 20's) Buescher True Tone Tenor, thats in great shape (theres one on ebay that ive been looking at)

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

9 years ago

Re: Vintage pre-1920's in Concert Band (and everything else)?

I love vintage horns but I can't think of one made before about 1925 that I'd want to play.  The keywork is just too antiquated.

Reply To Post

1. by MusicManDan
      (6 posts)

9 years ago

thanks...ive bought a different one than the one I was looking at....still an antique through...but still needed a horn for the summer :) 300 dollars not bad for a 100 year old horn (that near mint)....also it pre-dates King's "King" model

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121655534644?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l4467&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI121655534644.N19.S2.M-781.R1.TR2

Reply To Post

1. by Saxquest
        (420 posts)

9 years ago

I think it becoming increasingly clear that the King saxophone serial number charts are off. They definitely started making saxophones in 1915. However, a catalog from 1918 states that when they first started making saxophones, they received a large military order that delayed their offering to the general public by two years. So, my guess is that these early pre-35000 serial number King saxophones were from this early military order and that the charts should start somewhere around 25000 in 1915 and then go to 35000 in 1918.

By the way, I may use those eBay photos as a great example of an early King. This is the earliest I've seen yet.

If you feel like taking better photos of your sax when you get it to contribute to the museum section of this web site, please let me know. I would happily use better photos if you can take them.

Thanks,
             Mark Overton
             www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

1. by MusicManDan
          (6 posts)

9 years ago

True,there was a exact model in WORSE shape (not that mine is bad at all LOL) with a HIGHER serial number also I dont think you want me to take photos (as my web cam is crap for taking pics onless its craiglist) Ill probaly send you a audio sample of before and after it gets hauled (if it needs it)....itll probaly be a well know song....Any Suggestions?...also a need a nice All-Around sounding metal mouthpeice (is it possibly to get a desent classical sound with a metal mp??)... Mark how long have you been playing the sax (do you play othere??...I play quite a few others but guitar,bass,keys and drums are my 4 other main insturments)

If you want to hear me play other insturments and sing  you can go here:

Fandalism.com/danstein

Here is the other sax:  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-KING-TENOR-SAXOPHONE-/301639773715?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item463b21ae13&nma=true&si=2QcYR0Hg2brMpylJUaxsmYsYtI0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Reply To Post

2. by alex_punturi
        (1 post)

7 years ago

I have a buesher true tone alto and my band director reccomended it for concert season, after I got it he personally told me he could he a difference. My true tone projects better then my old student model however the key work is hard to get use to.

Reply To Post