Saxophone Forum

by Marius
(6 posts)
19 years ago

Best sax between 2000-3000$

Whch saxophone do you think I should buy if i plan to spend about 2500$?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by selmerfan
    (67 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Best sax between 2000-3000$

I got my Mark VI for $2700 from Randy Jones at Tenor Madness, give him a call, he could definitely give you some great options, and he probably has a good one sitting in his shop.

Reply To Post

2. by tenor562
    (297 posts)

19 years ago

Yamaha Custom Z or 875, no doubt. A great sax value with outstanding intonation, appearance, and tone quality. The ergonomics on Yamahas tower over the rest.

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
      (600 posts)

19 years ago

I could not agree more. Also, I believe that the Yanagisawa 991 is in that range, and it's a lot better than the 901. I would say that the Yamaha Customs or the 991 are the best you could do for that price, and they are all really great saxes. You could also got the vintage route and buy a really nice Selmer Super Balanced Action for under 3 grand. The are great saxophones, the only downsiide is that there is no high F* key.

Reply To Post

1. by Gumptious
        (40 posts)

19 years ago

the Yanagisawa A9933 is obviously more expensive than any yamaha, does that make it the "better" saxophone or the one that would normally be chosen over the other two? What about selmers vs. Yanagiawas? And what are the difference between Selmer series II and III?

Reply To Post

1. by InstantLunch
          (30 posts)

19 years ago

Selmer II doesn't have the funky c# mechanism, and it's made out of a thicker metal. It sounds alot darker than the Serie III. I chose the Serie II over the Yamaha 82z. I really didn't like it, and I think that my old 52 sounds better than that one did. Thats me, though.

Reply To Post

2. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

19 years ago

The A9933 is far better, but it's also more than 3000 dollars. It has a gold plated neck, solid silver body, and a brass bell. It usually runs just under 4 grand. I find the Series II to be very similar to the Z, I'm not sure which I like better. I would say the II is more durable and sturdy, but the Z sounds better.

Reply To Post

3. by The_MarkVI
          (80 posts)

19 years ago

tenor- keilweth SX-90 no doubt alto- yamaha 82z unlaquered, rampone cazzini (my favorite

Reply To Post

2. by Selmer Fan88
        (15 posts)

19 years ago

A really good horn is the new Selmer "Réference 54". But I think you would have to pay quiet more .... Between 3000-3500$

Reply To Post

1. by eman19
          (131 posts)

19 years ago

I'm a little prejudice, I'll admit, but I love a good vintage horn. Try a Buescher Big B or a Martin Committee II or even a Conn 10m. alot of them can be had for less than that, but I believe the quality is as good or superior.

Reply To Post

1. by martysax
            (148 posts)

19 years ago

I bought a nice Mark IV for just over $3,000!

Reply To Post

1. by karebear1012
              (395 posts)

19 years ago

does anyone know where I could buy a Keilwerth SX-90 or SX-90R (alto, preferably silver nickel) in the 2000s?? We've been looking everywhere, but cant find one for that price!! If anyone is selling one, please let me know Thanks, Kara

Reply To Post