Saxophone Forum

by nad1rn
(37 posts)
19 years ago

crappy saprano

I am the lead alto for my schools jazz band and we are doing a funk show this year. I have to play a reynolds (never heard of the brand) soprano (my directors got it for " a couple of hundred dollars")for two of the songs and it is a piece . Any suggestions on how to imprve the tone and response would be greatly appriciated. thanks, Nadir

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Goldref18
    (145 posts)

19 years ago

Re: crappy saprano

Nadir i feel your pain. I am playing lead tenor in my school and i had to adjust to soprano, as they are in the same key and lead tenor parts requires me to play soprano and clarinet as well as tenor. Luckily for me, i am conveniently based in the hot spot for jazz in the world so i went to my favorite and long time sax dealer and got a vintage buescher true tone soprano for a steal. However there are many things to playing soprano that will make an enourmous difference even on a crappy horn. First of all, I don't know what kind of mouthpiece you have for it but i strongly suggest if you can find them the S80 D* (Very similar to C* but arguably the best soprano mouthpiece out there) They are not expensive just really hard to find, but since i have an amazing dealer it wasn't bad at all. I would also reccommend using CLARINET REEDS and a harder size than u normally use. This will take some time to adjust to, but when you use clarinet reeds on a soprano mouthpiece it makes the most incredible difference in sound quality and often times even response. Hope this post helped - Zach

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
      (767 posts)

19 years ago

Re: crappy saprano

--------------------------------------------------------------------- Any suggestions on how to imprve the tone and response would be greatly appriciated. thanks, Nadir --------------------------------------------------------------------- If it's truley a crappy horn like the ultra-cheap instruments comming out of China and Taiwan, then even an expert technician would find it futile to try to accomodate defects and problems that should have been accounted for and solved at manufacture.

Reply To Post