Saxophone Forum

by SteveSotelo
(1 post)
9 years ago

Need Help With Recommendations

Hello and i am a young jazz enthusiast. I am currently tenor one in my jazz band for high school and i am only using a student model sax. i need help with some recommendation for a better and more quality saxophone. I dont have much of a bugdet but i do not want to be paying more than 2000. in some exeptions i might pay more but only if it is worth it. I am looking for a Tenor Saxophone that is at least better than student model and is worth the money. I am hopefully looking into it being a Yamaha model but if i am convinced by you that there are better models out there, please do notify me. Thank you for taking the time to read this and i hope you guys could help.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by JonHuff
    (117 posts)

9 years ago

Re: Need Help With Recommendations

Hello and welcome! There are plenty of good horns to be found in that sub $2000 range. Not a whole lot of professional models in that area, but lots of good intermediate/"basic pro" tenors to choose from. If you are set on a Yamaha, you should be able to find a good used Yamaha 52 for under $2k. You might also think about some of the vintage horns, like a good Conn or Buescher. Some of the newer Taiwenese-made saxes may also be found for under $2000. In any case, make sure the pads are in good shape before you buy, don't always just take the seller's word that "it is playing great" Good luck in your hunt.

Reply To Post

2. by GFC
    (842 posts)

9 years ago

Re: Need Help With Recommendations

The Phil Barone horns are head and shoulders above anything else under two grand.  He offers two basic models.   The "classic" offers a focused Selmer type sound and the "vintage" offers a deeper American vintage (Conn etc.) sound. They are reportedly a lot like the Mauriats.  

http://www.philbarone.com/store/category/saxophones/tenor 

Reply To Post