Saxophone Forum

by YanagisawA-901
(312 posts)
19 years ago

Ligatures??

ok, im just kinda wondering, ive been hearing a lot of crap about rovners about how they deadn the sound and whatnot, and im playing on a rovner dark.. whats a good lig?? or is a plain old stock lig gonna work just fine?? because ive been hearing a lot of hype about ligatures and vertical pressure on the reed and whatever..does all that really help?? or what??

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Rben20
    (35 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Ligatures??

Those who say that ligatures aren't important frankly are just too ignorant to try anything new. Trust me they do make a difference. A Vandoren Optimum or Olegature would be great choices...3 colors of sound, 3 ligatures really for the price of one (Vandoren one)...and for a great big sound that will really make the reed vibrate (Oleg). With these ligatures you recognize like i did...your tuning and getting the notes up high and down low come with much ease...when you play with these ligatures you wont want to go back to the rovner...i didnt...hope i helped ya out yanagisawa-901!

Reply To Post

2. by tenor562
    (297 posts)

19 years ago

Yea, I'm looking for a new ligature too. I'm thinking about a Vandoren Optimum, or a Francis Louis. Rovners deaden the sound a lot. They're more intended, in my opinion for concert band to even out the band. I'm wondering about the Eddie Daniels, how is it? It sounds pretty nice, but it is a fabric lig. Just wondering, -tenor562

Reply To Post

3. by Kitch22
    (98 posts)

19 years ago

For legit, Rovner darks do the job just fine, and that's what I use. No, I wouldn't say they deaden the sound, just tone it down a touch and warm it up just enough to maintain a decented, dark sound. And you're also right, they just don't seem to work as well for jazz. If you want a real good lig, go for an Olegature. I like them a lot. No, ligatures don't help as much as most people believe them to, but change your sound. What I like about the Olegature is you can change the screw tightness to modify the sound (and a pamplet telling you how that works, comes with it.) You can buy the Olegature right from this site and it will probably save you $30.

Reply To Post

1. by Goldref18
      (145 posts)

19 years ago

Francois

Yeah ligs make an enourmous difference. I would however STRONGLY reccommend the Francois Louis "Ultimate Lig" over others because even though it looks a little weird it makes the most unblievable difference and they are affordable and incredibly good. (I use them both on tenor which is my main horn and alto when i play it) They are in my opinon perfect because they allow you to play either bright or dark and they open the sound immensely.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by golferguy675
        (600 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Francois

Yeah, I put at as "deadening" sound earlier, and I guess a better description would be that is takes away from resonancy. I personally like the Optimum because the gold plate tends to contribute more projection. For jazz, I'm using the Francois Louis on just about all of my setps now.

Reply To Post

1. by Saxman2200
          (64 posts)

19 years ago

Doe's anyone know whether or not an olegiture fits on a NY LInk? How about an Ultimate? Can't tell if it would or not because of the ridge. And I won't cough up the $50.00 till I know.

Reply To Post

2. by KCSaxGal
          (46 posts)

19 years ago

The Oleg website has Otto Link on their chart but I don't know if the NY model changes what size you need to order. Where did you find a price of $50 btw? Cheapest I have seen is $62.

Reply To Post

3. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

19 years ago

you can find them for cheap all over the place like 30 on ebay plus i know a guy through my teacher that sells em for about twenty but i really want a FLU does anyone know what size i should use for a jody jazz ESP bari piece

Reply To Post

4. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

19 years ago

If you go to the ligs on this website's store, find one, and look at the sizes. You can just order them from hear, they're pretty fairly priced.

Reply To Post

5. by tembysaxguy
          (5 posts)

19 years ago

I would go the Vandoren Optimum Ligature- very very good in my opinion and you can change the pressure plate (It comes with 3 different ones) which does change the tone a bit and helps customise the sound.

Reply To Post

6. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Rovner has a brand new model coming out that is really cool. I think it's called the Elite? NICE LIG! The Eddie Daniels Ligs are really nice, especially for tenor. I use a dark on my alto. They're great ligs. I haven't really used any others, so I really can't speak for them. Some look like they would get the job done too. I can speak for the Rovners though. They're definately worth the money!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

7. by tenor562
          (297 posts)

19 years ago

It's the Evo-5

Reply To Post