Saxophone Forum

by atw
(2 posts)
19 years ago

Buying a new Alto Saxophone - Any Suggestions?

Hello, My son (14) has been playing on a bundy for about 4 years now and is ready for the next step up. I would consider him Intermediate. He plays with a local orchestra, marching & concert band (1st chair) in HS and with a local garage band - at least that's what they call it. There are so many different instruments out there that I'm not sure which direction to go. He's still a kid and is pretty tough on most everything. More info - He likes a jazz sound over classical. Budget - Still open on that one. I don't want to put alot of money into an instrument that I'm not sure he'll be playing in 4 years unless of course they hold there value. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by batbone
    (9 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Buying a new Alto Saxophone - Any Suggestions?

go to www.kesslermusic.com and talk to Chuck or Dave, (owners) and saxophone players.

Reply To Post

2. by jasonss
    (9 posts)

19 years ago

I would look at the following sax. 1) Yamaha YAS475 Alto Saxophone $1,469.00 2) Yanagisawa A901 Alto Saxophone 1,600.00 something 3) Yamaha The 62II Series Mark II Alto Sax $1,796.00

Reply To Post

1. by tenor562
      (297 posts)

19 years ago

I highly reccomend Yamaha Horns, from the 475 to the EX. I own a tenor in 62II, and it's a really good value, with superb tone, and awesome ergonomics. The 62II would definitely be my first choice if I were in your situation.

Reply To Post

1. by InstantLunch
        (30 posts)

19 years ago

If he's still rough on everything, would a yamaha really suit him? I mean, they have the nice jazz sound to them, but I'm a gentle and I busted mine. They also have a problem with screws falling out. If your going for construction quality, go for a selmer. They retain their value, if that helps you get over the price factor.

Reply To Post

2. by YanagisawA-901
      (312 posts)

19 years ago

This is what i did for my step up sax.. tested out the: Yamaha yas 62 II Kielwerth ex 90 and sx 90 and the yanagisawa 901 none of them break the 1800 mark if your buying from the right people.. i didnt like the yamaha..any brand that makes tv's, motorcycles, and electronic equipment, in my opinion just doesnt know enough about musical instruments.. bye

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by golferguy675
        (600 posts)

19 years ago

Well, if you're worried about price depreciation, go for a good vintage sax. Try looking int the vintage saxophone section here on the website, for some ideas. As far as buying new, I don't recommend buying an intermediate horhn, like a 475. Go for a lower to middle end pro sax. The best horn for the money out there right now is the Yamaha Yas-62II. You should probably stay away from Selmer, because of price, though they just came out with a new intermediate-type line of saxes called the Lacroix series I think...you might look into those, I don't know much about them. Also look into the Yanagisawa 901.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

19 years ago

No pro sax will take heavy abuse, but the yamahas will take the least of all - the selmers and keilwerths will take the most - the selmers probably more than the keilwerth.

Reply To Post

1. by jazzsaxman
            (28 posts)

19 years ago

save your money and buy a jupiter artist series or the 767 from brasswind/woodwind. you could go on a cruise with the money you save and your kid will be just as happy

Reply To Post

2. by SaxMan
            (559 posts)

19 years ago

If I were the parent, I would be insulted right now - saying that my kid is a moron and is satisfied with a total piece of crap that looks pretty.

Reply To Post

3. by golferguy675
            (600 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah, not to chime in one that little jab of Saxmans, but there's nothing worse that you could do than buying a Jupiter, from WWBW. Well...except maybe buy a Cannonball. Then you could go on a cruise over to Taiwann, and take a tour of their factories, where I imagine they've got a fleet of 9 year olds building saxes for bread. It would explain the ingenuity.

Reply To Post

4. by GordonGekko
            (27 posts)

19 years ago

Two important factors to remember about purchasing new: 1) The cost of copper continues to rise and the longer you wait the more likely the price will go up due to material costs. In the past year, copper prices have increased 40-50% primarily due to demands by China. Secondly, the $US is weak compared with the Euro. In the end, you will pay a premium for a European item just because of the currency differences. You know your budget, if he has a sax instructor- get his/her opinion on the matter. He can always upgrade to an ultra high end model if he ends up pursuing music in college.

Reply To Post