Saxophone Forum

by YanagisawA-901
(312 posts)
19 years ago

This is tuff stuff man...

Ok, we just got our new jazz charts for the year, its good stuff, but challenging..2 are our adjudication pieces for spring.. we have.. -After You've Gone - arranged by mark taylor -Yardbird Suite - by charlie parker arranged by mark taylor -All The Things you Are - arranged by mark tomara -Rythem of the Night - arranged by Roger Holmes -Wonderful day like today -arranged by mark tomaro -Trinita - by mark taylor anyone played any of these charts?? theyre all grade 4 pieces, and i need any advise you can give me..

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by FredCDobbs
    (77 posts)

19 years ago

Re: This is tuff stuff man...

I've been working on Yardbird Suite from the Charlie Parker Omnibook. My instructor suggested I play the eighth's, especially in the first few measures, in a bop stacatto style. I've just about got it memorized and it's great fun. However, when I try to play Parker's solo (and I can only go slowly at this point), I get no sense of melody or direction at all, so that's a whole 'nother problem. Good luck with those tunes.

Reply To Post

2. by Spike
    (248 posts)

19 years ago

those are some fun songs, enjoy them. and demand a solo on all the things you are.

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
      (600 posts)

19 years ago

If you're having trouble keeping track in Yardbird Suite with Parker's solo, analyze it. Look at every lick of every note, and see how the note fits into the chord, how it is resolved, and how it progresses. If you know what chord a note fits in, you know where to play, and where you are when you play it. Also, you'll get more out of it that way, because you might use a lick from his solo in a similar chord progression later on.

Reply To Post

1. by FredCDobbs
        (77 posts)

19 years ago

Golfer, thanks for the advice. I'm going to pour over it this weekend, and, as you say, try to connect each note with the chord it goes to, and try to understand the movement within each chord as well as the progressions. I know it sounds great when played properly, so I think I"m also going to listen to The Man himself play it, over and over again, so I get the accents and rhythms embedded in my ears. It's pretty difficult stuff for me, especially at the right tempo, but I guess I'll keep banging at it.

Reply To Post

1. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

19 years ago

ive played all those songs at some point alot of mark taylor i hate him who agrees

Reply To Post