Saxophone Forum

by MikeIII
(2 posts)
19 years ago

Selmer III Silver or Gold for Jazz

Which horn is better for jazz, the Selmer III Silver coated or the gold? Lets leave the Reference 54 out of this one please.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by golferguy675
    (600 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Selmer III Silver or Gold for Jazz

Do mean gold lacquer, or gold plate? There's both. I would say since the three is usually prett resistant, if you want jazz the silver plate would be more free blowing. If you have the money, you might eventually add a gold plate neck to add some character and warmth to it. I would actually frecommend the Series II over the III for jazz, because the III is just so damn resistant. Sure there's a few that the Selmer techs actually make well. I guess they get the whim every now and again to actually earn their money. But ususally the III does not make a good jazz horn, and some people will try to argue. It's ok if you're not serious, but if you play a lot, especially for gigs at a high level, you will definetly notice that horn holding you make in the tone department, though the response and ergonomics on the thing is great. The Series II tends to be easier to play, and a little brighter. The only negative to have the II, is the response on the III in the table keys is velvet, and with the II it's still great, but doesn't melt out like the III. I think though if you were to pick betweent the two, the Series II is the best way to go. Then there's the SBA and MarkVI....but that's a whole different thread.

Reply To Post

1. by MikeIII
      (2 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks. I happen to have bought a Series III Silver and Tenor Madness is giving it the love treatment. I own a Mark VII and like it very much but I have had it since it was new and really liked the intonation on the III. I tried a Reference and really enjoyed it but it closley resemble my VII and was looking for intonation part of the sax. The reason I choose silver was for jazz (I gig often) and I saved mucho bucks over the reference. I think I bought it because I've always wanted a siver horn... : )

Reply To Post

1. by The_MarkVI
        (80 posts)

19 years ago

III=jazz II=concert silver for jazz

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

19 years ago

Uh, no. You people have been brainwashed, and that's all you can say. Have you payed the two side by side? Same lacquer? You are mentally retarded if you do that and still think the same. What you're saying is how Selmer marketed their horns, but they marketed the opposite how they were, so in essence, they were both total misses.

Reply To Post