Saxophone Forum

by FutureBandTeacher
(45 posts)
19 years ago

Reeds and ligs

What size of reed works best for you? I work best with 3.5's but that's just my preference. And what material do you think is best for a lig? I've heard of metal, rubber, leather, cloth, and wooden--which works best?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Reeds and ligs

What type of reed/lig and mpc I use depends on what type of music I am doing. For legit work, Ive lately been using either a Selmer Larry Teal or S90 or a Rascher with a rovner ED lig and usually hand finished (by me) Rico Royals. For Jazz Ive been playing on my Guy Hawkins metal and My trusty old berg larsen with either a rovner D or L ligature and rico jazz selects unfiled or Alexander DCs Hope that answers your questions

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by FutureBandTeacher
      (45 posts)

19 years ago

That hardly answers my questions. I get all my products from Rush's Music through the school band, so we have limited options to experiment with. I am asking not about brand names but material. Cane, metal, or synthetic reeds? Leather, textile, metal, wooden, or synthetic ligs? I am sorry that I was not clearer in my question. We don't play legit or jazz sax, necessarily, it's usually just whatever halftime and concert music the director selects for us, usually arranged by easier arrangers like Paul Murtha ("If You Can't Rock Me") and Paul Lavender ("My Heart Will Go On"), both arrangements for good middle-school players and decent high-school players.

Reply To Post

1. by tenor562
        (297 posts)

19 years ago

ok, no metal reeds. A really good cane reed can blow away a synthetic, but when you're having trouble with reeds, synthetics will do the job. I like synthetic polyperene (spelling?) ligs, but I want to get the Brancher Leggerio or Optimum ligs.

Reply To Post

1. by FutureBandTeacher
          (45 posts)

19 years ago

You're right, metal reeds are virtually useless if you have to touch your sax in order to play it.=) They're pathetic. For more on this, see my post in Sax Equipment under "metal reeds". I've been thinking about a rubber lig, but for me, it's reed season. I've been looking at the BARI plastic alto sax reed, and I think it's a fairly safe bet.

Reply To Post