Saxophone Forum

by Hoot
(3 posts)
19 years ago

A Conn most likely student model

I have a Conn from what i think is either 70s or 80s with the serial number of N198XXX and all gold laquer body and keys. I'd like to know if its worth anything or if it's just a generic student model.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Goldref18
    (145 posts)

19 years ago

Re: A Conn most likely student model

IDK there mysterious stranger. However i have always wondered why people never post their full serial number on the internet, and when u look at pics of saxes for sale they often blur out the serial numbers.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Hoot
      (3 posts)

19 years ago

No idea about the serial numbers but just doing that in case there was some secret reason.

Reply To Post

1. by peter090
        (155 posts)

19 years ago

In the early 60's Conn switched to making student instruments. In 1967 they moved production to Mexico. (Nxxxx serial numbers are I believe all made in Mexico) I think they play ok for student instruments but they do not in any way resemble the vintage pro horns Conn made earlier.

Reply To Post

1. by Hoot
          (3 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah, it playes pretty well for a student horn. The only slightly fussy part is the left hand spatula keys.

Reply To Post

2. by FredCDobbs
        (77 posts)

19 years ago

I asked a seller on Ebay why he blurred out the serial numbers after the first three, and he told me it was to prevent unscrupulous people from claiming that it was a stolen horn and belonged to them. Apparently this is a common concern, because you do see it a lot. I imagine the seller can prove he/she owns the horn, but it would tie things up and be a general hassle, so they avoid the possibility by not posting the entire serial #..

Reply To Post

1. by Goldref18
          (145 posts)

19 years ago

That's so dumb of people to pretend something is theres. Anyway thanks for the advice. I guess that also makes sense as to why reputable places can list serial numbers as they do not need to worry about getting charged with theft.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM