Saxophone Forum

by YanagisawA-901
(312 posts)
19 years ago

Tone Question

Ive decided i hate my tone..it might be decent for legit, but im not interested in persuing legit in life, im interested in jazz.. my tone isnt jazzy.. i dont really know if there are differnt jazz tones but what im kindof looking for is like, that "raspy" kinda sound..like smooth, but not like round sounding like a french horn.. ill try to describe it and hopefully youll understand: -"raspy" -"smooth" -"round" -"solid" -"consistant" one of my friends who graduated like 3 years ago has an awesome tone and he has a meyer mouthpiece with a optimum lig..he told me to start persuing it have as little lip on the reed as possible, it dampens the reed sound..thats also why i have a stuffy high A... anyone know how to persue this sound??

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Tone Question

Do you play Tenor or Alto? Try a Conn 10M Tenor or a King Super 20 Tenor, Conn 6M alto or a Buescher 400 Alto with an Otto Link Super Tone Master (Metal) or a Rico Royal B3 mouthpiece with Rovner Ligature. I use a Conn 10M and 6M with those mouthpieces. Rico Royals are cheap mouthpieces too, but they sound really nice and they're well made. Yani 901's are good horns but they sound too "French" for my taste. FRENCH: adjective....means stuffy, gay, with NO BALLS!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by Goldref18
    (145 posts)

19 years ago

You play alto or tenor? It makes a bit of a difference. In general some darker pieces are Vintage Meyers for alto and a lot of hard rubber modern links on tenor. Also i would consider trying some Vandoren ZZ reeds as they are very dark and smooth in sound.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by SaxMan
      (559 posts)

19 years ago

ahh, you're too much.

Reply To Post

3. by YanagisawA-901
    (312 posts)

19 years ago

haha im too much?? how so.. ok ok ok i know that putting a new piece on there wont just magically make me sound like cannonball, but it it more allowing to the tone i want. i have a pice that came with my sax the yani steel ebonite or w/e..its a 5.... the guy when i bought it sed it compares quite well to a meyer which will allow me to have a jazzier tone.. hrrmm??

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by SaxMan
      (559 posts)

19 years ago

no, I meant gold ref - he refers to the vintage meyer as a "dark" piece. The yanigisawa pieces are supposed to be very good - their metals I am told are second only to freddie gregory pieces and others in that league. But I am really not sure what tone you are looking for.

Reply To Post

1. by martysax
        (148 posts)

19 years ago

Play a Meyer 5 with a 3-3 1/2 Vandoren Java with a lot of air support. It helps to play Tenor, then switch back.

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Try a different mouthpiece; maybe an Otto Link Super Tone Master metal piece, or try some of the better Selmer pieces. Try a Rovner ligature.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by peter090
      (155 posts)

19 years ago

Long tones. For jazz spend some part of every practice session working on ballads. I like to play into a wall or a stand to get a reflected sound so that I can hear the parts of the sound better. Don't waste your time and money switching mouthpieces and gear until you've done this for at least a few months. If you can't get pretty close to what you want with a stock mouthpiece you won't get it with anything else.

Reply To Post

1. by zoot
        (21 posts)

19 years ago

Going back to the kind of sound you want, the E.Rousseau Studio Jazz mouthpieces seem to match what you want pretty well. They ain't bright but they are smooth and have a great edge to them. hope I helped.

Reply To Post