Saxophone Forum

by saxhammer
(1 post)
19 years ago

Cannonball-Big Bell horns (good horns or waste of money)

For those of you who use this forum, yes I'm new. I'm looking in buying a Cannonball tenor, but since they are so new, it's difficult to get an impression from people on how they play. From those of you who have tried it(or know someone who has), is it worth it?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by YanagisawA-901
    (312 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Cannonball-Big Bell horns (good horns or waste of money)

no..

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by John Coltrane
      (84 posts)

19 years ago

well we have 2 of them at our school now, for jazz band...but for classical music i think they sound a bit bad but for jazz band they sound reasonably well. i meen for how much they cost yeah i could get a used mark 6 tenor somewhere, but if u want a cannonball then try one first.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by tenor562
        (297 posts)

19 years ago

They look nice, and have that big bell tone. However, they don't have the greatest intonation. If I were you, and had enough money for a Big Bell, I'd probably go with a Yani, Yamaha Custom, or Keilwerth SX90. The keilwerth has a bigger bell (correct me if I'm wrong), similar to the cannonball, but will have better intonation, and better, in my opinion resale value. It will definitely give you a big tone, keilwerth is known for tone. My teacher's old music store almost became a Cannonball dealer. He said that the man who was displaying the horns had a very nice tone, and was a good player, but was out of tune. To me, intonation is key. I'd much rather get a Yani, Yamaha, Selmer, or Keilwerth than a cannonball, I think you get a lot more for the money.

Reply To Post

2. by The_MarkVI
      (80 posts)

19 years ago

they sound decent but in the long run its not worth it. They are made in Taiwan so the quality wouldnt be as good as a selmer yani or keilwerth

Reply To Post

1. by jazzfool132
        (144 posts)

19 years ago

our the DC saxophones similar in quality with the cannonball big bell horns??

Reply To Post