Saxophone Forum

by SaxMan
(559 posts)
19 years ago

Just had a rather interesting experience with a yamaha 62

I am in english class right now, so if the post just abruptly stops, the teahcer came and im in trouble and I will finish the post later. today, for band, I had forgotten to grab my series III and newither fo my other altos were at school so I had to borrow a horn if I didn't want to go down 10 percent - I didn't know anyone else in either of the other 2 bands, so I aksed a friend if she knew anyone and she hooked me up with a kid with a YAS-62, I was like ok, cool, dont have to play a student model at least. This friken 62, played better than any other yamaha I have ever played, it was almost as good playing as my III, but the action was a bit slower and less comfortable, the bottom end was as not as solid, and the top was just ever so slightly thinner. All of the other yamahas I have played, have been EXACTLY alike, or damn close to it, but this, this was beyond respectable. Does anyone know if yamaha perhaps saves a few extraordinary saxes for clinicians? maybe they let one slip onto the market. Or maybe they changed their process at the end of the 62 run - this was made in the last year of the 62 - I have played a 62 II that had the same first few numbers, but then that wasnt nearly as good as this one.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by tenor562
    (297 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Just had a rather interesting experience with a yamaha 62

the 62s are top horns, i have a mark 2. The last 62"s were supposed to be pretty good, they're made of a better quality brass, and they were top horns of their time. But the 62II isn't bad for the money, it sometimes varies by horn. The necks vary a lot, I mixed and matched a lot of necks from a lot of horns when I was testing horns.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
      (559 posts)

19 years ago

Well, I mean, all of the other yamahas I have played have been rubbish - the 62II was not as good as the original - like my prophecy says, yamaha will get worse and worse until they are in the grade of helmke. But this one was good playing.

Reply To Post

1. by tenor562
        (297 posts)

19 years ago

"yamaha will get worse and worse until they are in the grade of helmke." whoa, that's harsh, lol. To me, those Z's and 875's are certainlly disobeying your prophecy, and my 62II serves me pretty well. Definitely not helmke material, in my opinion.

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Isn't the philosophy of so many companies "Build it for less and charge more?!?" I've seen some neat features on some of the newer horns. Some of them feel very comfortable and play really nice. Modern machining and tolerancing means for a more consistant playing instruments. (In theory anyway) But then, the metal today isn't as good. The brass used today is actually an alloy which is softer and contains a fair amount of tin. No wonder why some of them sound tinny. There is less attention to detail. They are mass-produced on machines, fitted together and tested. Only the better companies take time to really set up their horns before they leave the factory. The horns made in the 20's up into the 1950's were basically hand made by craftsmen, and parts were fitted together. I love vintage horns!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Lefty
        (21 posts)

19 years ago

It needs to be said that brass is an alloy of copper AND tin, CSM_J, anywhere from about 65% to 85% copper, depending on all that yellow brass, gold brass, red brass stuff. It has always been so. The addition of tin is not new. The reliance on alloys with more tin, the AS300 for example, is to make it strong yet inexpensive, for less metal is used overall. Find an older Martin, for example. Thick brass and heavy; more copper, greater molecular density, and it can't can't be overblown with a metal link 17* and a #6 reed. The AS300 sound , well, tinny, and distorts the moment you think about playing loud. Mr. Saxman, maybe this is an example of a stopped clock telling the right time twice a day. But I think not. My model 62 is from 1983, and is an almost perfect accoustical device, albeit one complete devoid of soul and character. I rely on it, but I don't love it. Lefty

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

19 years ago

Well, I played a Z alto that I liked better than the Series III. It was just a better horn. If Yamaha is withholding their best horns for VIPs, then their second tier horns are then better instruments than the Series III alto.

Reply To Post

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

19 years ago

#1) I didn't purchase anything, so I consider myself not biased by effect of ownership. #2) Holtons must play far better than they are reputed then, because the Z is a very good alto!

Reply To Post

3. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

19 years ago

I know, I was trying to stir some shit up. But, if it is a traditional sax you are looking for, dont buy a modern horn, otherwise you are going to spend more on a horn that can be beat by a cheaper one with better construction. The gold plated weidoft models play alright - the thinner metal is slightly compensated for by the soft gold and it makes a really damn resonant horn, though just ever so slightly tinny, which can be compensated for by the player. The weidoft sops actually play really good - they're just uncomfortable as hell and kind of clunky with all those damn keys.

Reply To Post

4. by Face
          (11 posts)

19 years ago

I got a great deal on my 62II Tenor. I chose it playtesting aside both of the customs, and had played some other ones. I really did like it. It is aquality sax, and the response I get from it is quite nice. I really can't complain about it at all...

Reply To Post