Saxophone Forum

by jazzfool132
(144 posts)
19 years ago

Young Sax Fourm

Welcome to the Young Sax Forum... Lets bring together all sorts of young saxophone players and talk about different horn prefs. or any other topic Feel free to post responds even if you are not young!! Enjoy -J

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by karebear1012
    (395 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Young Sax Fourm

heya! i'm young i guess lol. so i had jazz band last night, and my director is trying a new thing where the brass section goes to a room to practice, and the saxes go to another room, and same with the percussion. we basically just play "trouble spots" for our particular group together, and since i'm 1st alto, i was the boss. lol, it was so fun to boss people around, and they actually listened!! So i've been told NOT to buy yani, but keilwerth is great. any ideas? cya, Kara

Reply To Post

1. by jazzfool132
      (144 posts)

19 years ago

yea i changed my opinion from what it used to be. i heard to stay away from keilwerths but it all depends on the make and model. from what you say, you sound like a great sax player so i suggest getting the pro model, SX-90 or SX-90R. The EX-90II is a great intermediate sax for the price. about $1800 new! has the same body as the SX-90 but without the fancy keywork. I strongly suggest either of the three. it all depends on your price range. the EX-90II is probably one of the better new horns you can buy for $1800!

Reply To Post

1. by jazzfool132
        (144 posts)

19 years ago

o yea happy birthday!

Reply To Post

1. by John Coltrane
          (84 posts)

19 years ago

dont know much about keli's...im a selmer and yahama type of person. sr in highschool and our jazz band is awesome this yr. were hoping to get back to Essentially Ellington like last yr. We tied for 6th. Westerville South High school. i play bari and alto. what grades are you guys in?

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by jazzfool132
          (144 posts)

19 years ago

not bad, 6th. anyway im in 8th

Reply To Post

3. by John Coltrane
          (84 posts)

19 years ago

wow you have a long ways to go, planning to keep playing thru high school and in college? thats what im doing now. been playing for 8 years now.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

4. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

im in 9th grade, but i'm the same age as the 8th graders cuz i skipped a grade...... wow, i'm having such a bad day today=(

Reply To Post

5. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

so in music theory class i sit with this senior, and he just so happens to have a crush on me. now first off, what kind of SENIOR likes a FRESHMAN?!?!?!? so then hez spreading untrue rumors about us and i'm so mad right now. argggg....and i told him i dont like him in that way and he started yelling at me! arg, so anyways, howz it goin with yall? then in band, my trumpet valves were all screwed up because of this dent that i need to get taken out, and i was asked to tune everyone, so that sucked.....

Reply To Post

6. by jazzfool132
          (144 posts)

19 years ago

umm lets see i had jazz band last night and symphonic band this morning...jazz band good...symphonic band...not bad. my school just sent a really nice conn 10m naked lady tenor up to the highschool! i was soo mad i really wanted to play it for jazz band. o well btw, 10m are great horns and im trying to get a 6m(alto version) of it! tough to find one though bye -j

Reply To Post

7. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

nice, that sounds awesome! at least one of us had a good day..

Reply To Post

8. by tenor562
          (297 posts)

19 years ago

I'm in eighth grade too. Musicwise, today was pretty stupid. We had band practice, and somehow my music is missing, (and the kid who never had his music has everything) so I just had to remember all my parts. Worked fine though. Watch your music when you leave your stand, it could dissappear! It might've just been me or something though. Who knows. I'm also down to only one reed, and it's the Rico that came with my YTS62II. It's not a bad reed either, which kinda surprised me. gosh, I need more chances to play, we don't have a youth jazz or concert band or anything, theres only this one 45 minutes away, and it's in Detroit, (the DSO's) and that's a little too far. band just isn't cutting it anymore. And I need a new setup, and I've learned that I can't stand French File Cut Reeds. O well. What's everyone's setup?

Reply To Post

9. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

I dunno if my setup is good or not ... I use a Selmer C* mouthpiece, a Rovner ligature (which i love), and vandoren Z (i think) reeds- which i also love. I should be getting a Meyer 5 for jazz band pretty soon, but we're trying to find the place with the best price. any ideas? hopefully that place has good priced keilwerths too....

Reply To Post

10. by jazzfool132
          (144 posts)

19 years ago

o yea...kara, how is your search for a new alto going? Hows your progress on finding a Keilwerth? Did u think about looking to the EX-90II or the SX-90? bye -j

Reply To Post

11. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

right now we're trying to find the SX-90R (rolled tone holes) in silver nickel that's in my price range. not a huge amount of luck so far.

Reply To Post

12. by jazzfool132
          (144 posts)

19 years ago

what is your price range because silver nickel Sx-90r run over 3500

Reply To Post

13. by Redsax
          (27 posts)

19 years ago

Okay...yell if you will...been busy with school and after school stuff. This year I'm in the adult bell choir and the children's bell choir, bowling, plus private sax lessons AND--- I was elected to Student Council this year. So Leslie and Kara I'm so sorry for not being on here in quite a while. However, I am maintaining an A average in school right now---parents thrilled---and my instructor is grooming me for district and state bands for next year---the only reason I'm not in this year is because of my age...by the way---happy birthday to me...I turned 13 finally on Nov 1st. Parents got me an acoustic guitar. At my lesson today I spied a vintage 1927 Conn Soprano---gold plated for the small fortune of 800.00. I used it during my lesson and it has an extremely light action to it and sounds muted compared to my Accent---which my instructor says it has a "bright" sound to it...maybe that's his word for tinny, I don't know. Anyway, Ed(my instructor)sounded so good when he tried out the Conn that I have been begging my mom to get it for me for Christmas.Don't know if that will happen though. I think it plays great, but you know how moms are..."we'll see..." lol. I know...I've only had the Accent for 3 months and already I'm eyeing another...mom hopes I won't be that way when I start dating which with the way my schedule is will be sometime after college...lol. By the way...if I don't hear from you...have a great turkey day. Mike

Reply To Post Yahoo!

14. by Redsax
          (27 posts)

19 years ago

By the way...I'm playing "The Swan" for our winter concert as a solo and I'm doing "Mission Impossible" in an ensemble. Got to jam with the HighSchool Band during the football games...played Time Warp, AC/DC's Back in Black, American Woman,and Devil with the Blue Dress...Jazz band starts in February, thanks to teachers strike in Sept...last day of school set for June 30th...yuck.---Mike

Reply To Post Yahoo!

15. by Redsax
          (27 posts)

19 years ago

Sorry I missed your birthday Kara...hope it was a good one...HB2U,HB2U,HB2karebear,HB2U!!!! and many more!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

16. by jazzfool132
          (144 posts)

19 years ago

How does everyone like the Young Sax Forum..seems to work pretty well..as we already have about 18 replies in just a few days! well see you around! ps try to get more replies to this discussion! thanks -j

Reply To Post

17. by John Coltrane
          (84 posts)

19 years ago

anybody doing any jazz contest this yr, we're trying to get back into EE 05 this year ( essentialy ellington), hopefully we'll be able to make it. we have a jazz clinician this weekend with Ron Carter from 10 am to 5 pm...7 hiurs of just playing the bari is liable to kill my mouth... : (

Reply To Post Yahoo!

18. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

hey hey, got an A+ in band and in Music Theory! i just got my report card back - honor roll again=) Yay!! mike you're back!! so howz it been going? happy birthday! i'm still looking for a keilwerth.... wow so much to fill you in on!

Reply To Post

19. by jazzfool132
          (144 posts)

19 years ago

Guys, what are the alto, tenors, etc. that you currently play and own? just curious, -j

Reply To Post

20. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

let's see...i have the cheapest beginner alpine alto sax, but i absolutely love it! lol, yeah i'm weird. I also have an antigua winds soprano sax, which i love too. it plays really well. yamaha trumpet, if anyone cares at all. So i'm currently working on a piece for vocals, guitar, bass, and drums, that i wrote on my own. i'm hoping to be able to perform it for my music theory class when i'm finished. district auditions are this saturday -- i'm soo nervous!!! they only take like 3 or 4 altos.... good luck to a freshman...

Reply To Post

21. by tenor562
          (297 posts)

19 years ago

Mike's Back!

Reply To Post

22. by jazzfool132
          (144 posts)

19 years ago

whos mike? i have only been a member for a couple of days now!

Reply To Post

23. by Dirty_Reggae
          (55 posts)

19 years ago

Hey karebear! I read your first post, im my jazzbands first alto as well, but all my saxes try to undermine me. Really annoying. They think im not fit to play cuz im in improviser from the Latin Jazz Band class a my school. Any advice to keep little tenors in line? ps. i have an Antiqua Sop too and i love it! what model is yous?

Reply To Post

24. by John Coltrane
          (84 posts)

19 years ago

I Play Alto and Bari. I Own a Alto Selmer 62 Series III And at my school I use the Alto Yahama Custom When I play bari for jazz band 1 Yahama YBS-52

Reply To Post Yahoo!

25. by OklahomanSax
          (18 posts)

19 years ago

hey guys, i'm a freshmen. and it sucks. me and this other freshmen are the only tenors who can play out of 3 freshmen, 1 sophomore, 2jr's and 2 seniors, and the seniors (our section leaders who treat me like their slave) suck the most. its sad, i'm gonna kick their butt in county. well anyways on w/the set ups.... i play on a bundy orig. for alto w/a s80 c* and van. zz jazz 3's i have two tenors, a bundy special made in germany, which used to be good but now sucks incredibly due to age. and a selmer mark 7 which i absolutely love. i play a berg 95/2 w/ an olegature and a van. zz jazz 3 and a c* w/a rovner lig and a van. trad. 3.5 for classical (GaG! i'm a jazz kinda man) and i have no idea for bari yet, i'm gonna have to play alto tenor and bari for jazz band which starts second semester. well my moms tellin me to get to bed. later all chris

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

26. by jazzfool132
          (144 posts)

19 years ago

Which Yamaha do you like better the Z or the 62III?

Reply To Post

27. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

Hey Reggae! um..not much advice here, except keep a really high confidence level. I'm a freshman girl, which makes it harder on me because i'm with a jazz band full of guys... if someone says something to me I just keep a straight face and play confidently. I pratice a ton too so i dont screw up in jazz band (which makes the guys smirk at me...).. So where are you from? I have districts auditions tomorrow! I'm soo nervous!! cya, Kara

Reply To Post

28. by John Coltrane
          (84 posts)

19 years ago

personally all i think the Z is a buffed Custom...there basically the same saxophone and play the same. The 62 3 series is nice, but a reference 54 blows it out the water easily. the Z and 3 play the same, but the 3 has a darker tone. thats all the differnece i can i see

Reply To Post Yahoo!

29. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

In general I don't really like bright horns at all, which is why I'm not a huge fan of yamahas. But I did like the unlaquered Yamaha Z - it played slightly darker than the usually yamaha horn.

Reply To Post

30. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

hey chris, what's up? I'm a freshman too . cya, Kara

Reply To Post

31. by OklahomanSax
          (18 posts)

19 years ago

So how many people on this forum are in jazz bands? how are they? just curirous chris

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

32. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

19 years ago

haha kara dont knock seniors when im a senior you'll be the age of a freshman anyway 7 hours of playing is not bad we have block days so i have 4hours of school playing and then 3 of county and then last night we had a gig for 2 hours its good for you im a junior btw and i play bari...well all but mostly bari i play a series II which is an awesome bari and i did not make state not even alternate and i know what i did wrong... but it was this punk of a lead alto player who auditioned on bari, good player but annoying as hell but all was good as another one of the great 5 sax players(from my teacher its me 3 tenors and and alto) that im in 1 is in college and 2 made state and so he picked me out of county band to make an ensemble as opposed to the alto player like he was going to so ill take paying gigs over state anyday

Reply To Post

33. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

19 years ago

o yea btw i wasted my time during physics math and jazz today...we completly messed around graphing out songs... do not ask i took this roll of graph paper i found like the ones you would find on say lie detector and graphed out the sinusoidal curvatures in the vibrations of musical notes against a time graph like .05357142857seconds would be an eight note at 140 tempo and i taped it up around the band room... it was very big... and teacher were pissed ... i wasted my time all day school is a waste

Reply To Post

34. by jazzfool132
          (144 posts)

19 years ago

that's cool. i played my alto for about 2 1/2 hours today and then my tenor for about a half an hour. i was listening to Charlie Parker and the song "In the Still of the Night" it has an awesome solo and it has a great cordline. has anyone heard this song?

Reply To Post

35. by jazzfool132
          (144 posts)

19 years ago

btw, im in jazz band its really fun but some of our songs are really not good jazz songs in general. i play alto and i have a great time! -j

Reply To Post

36. by jazzfool132
          (144 posts)

19 years ago

its me again... what are your opinion on pre-war conn 6m altos and post-war conn 6m altos? thanx -j

Reply To Post

37. by Redsax
          (27 posts)

19 years ago

"Still of the Night" remake by Ronnie Milsap.Also try "Lost in the Fifties Tonight" also by Ronnie Milsap. Kara you got your sop finally...good going. I never thought you'd ever make up your mind...lol. Great news....I get to "sit at the adult table" now...I am now part of my church's horn ensemble, starting Sunday!! Have quite a few pieces to do but this Sunday I'm playing "Star Child" as a solo....bbl...after dinner

Reply To Post Yahoo!

38. by jazzfool132
          (144 posts)

19 years ago

Cool have fun! -j

Reply To Post

39. by Dirty_Reggae
          (55 posts)

19 years ago

Hey kare. Im from Atascadero. Its in northern/middle cali. 3 hours from fresno and about 3 and a half from l.a. Yeh i know what you mean by playing confidently, but i always do. I worked on just my tone for a whole year and it shows, but in highschool everyone wants to lead.

Reply To Post

40. by Dirty_Reggae
          (55 posts)

19 years ago

p.s. I just saw your response from the other thing, and yeh your right i didn't help him. Now i kinda just feel like a jerk, hahaha. Leave it to a girl, lol. Theres this girl in marching/concert band thats right under me, but we co-lead the marching altos cuz shes just as good (if not better) than me. Shes not in jazz band tho. Anyways yeh, thanks for humbling.

Reply To Post

41. by John Coltrane
          (84 posts)

19 years ago

im in jazz band, playing the bari with my gold otto link mouthpiece and vandoren blue boxes for now until i get my javas they can do. are band is great, we played for wind ensemble last nite before they played, and people we're like, wow you guys are the best, since we're sixth in the nation from last yrs Essentialy Ellington contest, were hoping to go back this yr, we only lost one good player, Aaron Holbrook who goes to julliard playing the saxophone, hes like 18 and he with out a doubt can crush 40 and up players who've been playing there whole life when it comes to improv and playing.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

42. by Dirty_Reggae
          (55 posts)

19 years ago

Wow! an 18 year old going to julliard? Thats amazing. That puts me to shame! I was all proud of myself cuz i have a Berklee (boston not cali) audition, but julliard kicks my ass. I feel small, lol.

Reply To Post

43. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

19 years ago

yea my tenor player haha he hates that im HIS bari player left us to go to julliard this year too he got a full ride for a preformance scholarship EXTREMLY HARD and hes gonna be 18 in december

Reply To Post

44. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah, i'm in jazz band. I'm lead alto, which is pretty cool. The other sax players are amazing, which kinda brings me down. Oh, yeah Reggae - sorry i was kinda harsh. I didn't realize it was you lol. sryy... so i had district auditions today. 65 alto saxes tryed out, only 6 will make it in...i made some stupid mistakes out of being nervous, but i did pretty well overall. there were like 45 bari saxes, and about 20 tenors i think. 45 trumpets. lol stobie..im gonna be the age of a JUNIOR when i'm a senior...thanks a lot. lol.

Reply To Post

45. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

19 years ago

kara you were talking about the senior hitting on you and i was like and... when im a senior youll be freshman age... thats what i meant coltrane *bariplayer2005* *btw i hate using coltrane as ur name* yes i noticed aaron holbrooks name in the old list from last years competition as an outstanding soloist thats cool... did you replace him?

Reply To Post

46. by John Coltrane
          (84 posts)

19 years ago

no, dale hyder did, hes with columbus youth jazz bariplayer, you can call me brent for short for my real name. coltrane just one of my fav players, thats is all.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

47. by jazzfool132
          (144 posts)

19 years ago

kara, keep us posted on your district band results! I want to know if you made it!

Reply To Post

48. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah, i probably didnt make it, but i'll keep ya posted. Results come in tomorrow or the next day. I think my audition was pretty good, but i could have done so much better if i wasn't so nervous.... yup, i told the senior that i didn't like him "in that way". he got pissed of and started yelling at me. apparently he has a rep with the police for hitting on younger girls. i took care of him=) lol. i've got some friends who are juniors (these massive fb players) who took part in scaring him off.

Reply To Post

49. by jazzfool132
          (144 posts)

19 years ago

nice...thats kinda weird how he yelled at YOU for not liking him. usually someone would be embaraseed for liking someone that didnt like them back...thats weird to me...o well anyway hoes the keilwerth quest going for you?

Reply To Post

50. by Dirty_Reggae
          (55 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Young Sax Forum

I think its weird when older guys hit on young chicks. I personally only like girls my age. Anyways my marching band went to Modesto Championships last night. We played well but didn't manage to make finals. Oh well. We got a 78 i beleive so im pretty happy with that, cuz thats a decent score. Im a senior so that was my last marching feild show unless i do DCI in the future. Anyways anyone here doing indoor winter percussion? Im tryin out for bass drum tommarrow. Ive done it the last two years and its fun.

Reply To Post

51. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

Well, at this point most of the guyz ive dated have been older cuz i look older and the guys my age at my school are jerks. but anyways, thats awesome you went to championships last night! We have a thanksgiving fb game this week. so my search is goin ok. i really want a silver nickel SX-90R, but we cant find one in the price range (mid 2000s)..... cya, Kara

Reply To Post

52. by Dirty_Reggae
          (55 posts)

19 years ago

Check ebay. I found an Antigua Winds soprano for 550 dollars. Only thing is you might need to put some repair money in it. Still save money. I think i saw a yani tenor on there 1200 which is really good.

Reply To Post

53. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah, i've been warned though, "if someone has a really good horn to sell, why would they choose ebay to sell it on?" I think my dad got my anigua winds soprano from there though, and it's awesome! so apparently i've been signed up at church to play hymns on both trumpet and sax (they wanted me to sing too....kindly turned them down lol).... only 2 and a half days of school this week=) all my extended family on my mom's side are coming over for thanksgiving...itz gonna be awesome! cya!

Reply To Post

54. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

ooh, i have a question..: ok, so one of my friends has a Selmer Series III black laquer alto sax. Another one of my friends said that the black laquer almost muffles the tone, and just getting plain old laquer would be better for it. Is this true? What's wrong with black laquer? Also, are the black nickel keilwerths better compared to plain old laquer? Since the silver nickel horns are slightly over the budget, I'm thinking about going with black nickel (I never really liked black, but it's starting to grow on me...). What do you think? I asked my director about the yanis, and he cringed and said they sound "tinny".... so scratch that idea. I really don't like selmer Series II or III because they're bright, which also knocks yamaha off the list. There's a new brand called Rampone and Cazzoni (I think?). Are they any good? SaxForte sells them. Thanks, Kara

Reply To Post

55. by Dirty_Reggae
          (55 posts)

19 years ago

Why not go with a Selmer mk 7? There not as expensive as a 6 and they still play great? As for yanis sounding "tinny" i dunno cuz i dont have much experience with them. A lot of vintage horns have very dark sounds as well. I was trying out some vintage kings a while back that had a very dark tenor tone that i liked a lot. Too bad im poor. As for your laquer question i cant really help ya. Maybe post that question in a different forum so the real hardcore guys will see it?

Reply To Post

56. by tenor562
          (297 posts)

19 years ago

Rampone and Cazzoni, isn't knew, they're just unheard of. They're really good saxes. They started before selmer, and they don't make that many saxes, but of the ones they do, they're really good, (handmade I believe) Keilwerths are cool. Nickel Silver is cool, but I wouldn't realyl want a black sax, but does black nickel look better than black lacquer? I've heard that black makes it better, but I dunno. I've never played anything other than a silver plated horn and a lacquer. Good Luck

Reply To Post

57. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

19 years ago

R and C makes good baris but i didnt get one... i think all of them are good i think keilwerth makes the best black laq saxes and they sound good... i would try the shadow and as for this dating thing im all over the place but i prefer younger girls FRESHMAN!

Reply To Post

58. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

yeah, i've never tried RnC, so i dont wanna spend the money on it. i've seen the shadow --- i'd have to be rich (or my parents would) to get that ! lol, ur a younger girl guy? I definately like guys who are a little older than me. As a freshman, I can date only up to juniors. Next year i'll be able to date seniors. but at this point i've totally lost hope in the dating scene...my heart got broken, and i realllyy dont want it to happen again=(

Reply To Post

59. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

is the Mark 7 a vintage horN? at rayburns i tried a Selmer Premium i think it was (whatever was made before the mark 6), and i had a lot of trouble even making a sound out of it. People have told me to stay clear of vintage horns.....

Reply To Post

60. by Dirty_Reggae
          (55 posts)

19 years ago

Someone told you to stay away from vintage? This is one of those things thats all opinion. Someone people hate vintage horns just cuz of the way they sound but if your looking for a dark warm sound vintage horns will give you that, or a slemer reference but thats mucho mula. I play a vintage Conn alto and ive never played a smoother horn. I dont really stick myselves to certain brands or vintage/modern. But ill tell ya that lots of pros play vintage. After all, the mark 6 IS a vintage horn.

Reply To Post

61. by Dirty_Reggae
          (55 posts)

19 years ago

Oh and i almost forgot. i beleive the 7 came after the 6, but its a great horn. Theres one on this site for 2,300. Im sure you can find one for less then 2000 tho. Make sure you play on one first tho. Ive tried one and i like em, but you might not. Its all preference. Lotsa luck.

Reply To Post

62. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

19 years ago

1. kara what? im not a younger girl i said i liked younger girls like freshman I am a junior guy 2. mark VII are vintage horns as they are not made anymore and there old... they are not AFTER the mark VI per say they were still making VIs at some point and they were always making markVI baris and sopranos at that time 3. not all vintage horns are good but i think kids shouldnt have them as much...me maybe... but theyre a responsibilty and you have to respect them also if you buy them and they need repairs or something quick you have to know how to treat it... I fix horns but you have to respect it and get good laborers also common misconception is that overhauls are bad that is in some cases true but not always i know probably one of the best guys for it... hes insane like ahh hes so good like perfect chemical stripping and perfect work

Reply To Post

63. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

oh sorry, i thought i said "you're a younger girl guy" meaning ur a guy who likes younger girls. lol, sorry..don't listen to me yeah, i really like the sound of vintage horns...but i dunno if i'd be able to take care of it good nuf....i dunno.... holiday ball coming up=) oh yeah, im phsyched!

Reply To Post

64. by jazzfool132
          (144 posts)

19 years ago

Does anyone know of or played the P. Mauriat Saxophones. I have not heard any opinions on the horns. The only info I have gotten on these horns is from the endorser and the dealer(not much help) On Saxalley.com they sell for 1590 for an alto and around 1950 for a tenor. has anyone heard anything?? thanx, -j

Reply To Post

65. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

never heard of them.... so yeah, i'm thinking of trying out a Mark 7 sometime at Rayburns. Maybe a few more keilwerths too. I just had a lesson, and my teacher is having me work on bop scales up and down... itz pretty cool though. I like bop scales way better than the plain old major or minor scales. So I have jazz band at 7 (half hour from now)... the guys are starting to have a little more respect for me now that i've started improvising, so i'm liking it a lot better now=) . My director wants me to play the euphonium now, which is such a pretty instrument, but it would totally ruin my trumpet range...... i've never heard of saxalley.com. are they a good place to buy from? return policy? cya. Kara

Reply To Post

66. by Dirty_Reggae
          (55 posts)

19 years ago

Yeh i play vintage and im kind of an unorganized guy, so its been damaged a bit. Nothing too severe. You dont need to be THAT careful, and plus you need to be careful with any sax. You like complex scales eh? Me too! I love blues/bop and all the modes. I try to play as much be-bop and latin as possible. What different modes do you use in bop cuz im still experimenting and havn't really found anything that gets that sound i want yet. Just like dorian. Also your an imrpoviser which kicks ass cuz thats my favorite part of playing sax! Good to have somone thats likes it as much as i do.

Reply To Post

67. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

19 years ago

yea thats all i was doing today cuz ive gotten sloppy and bad at scales not enuff practicing today i was pitiful i was doing like up dorian minor down bop domanint then up whole tone down with blues scale crap i was so pitiful i havent been working cuz i was strugglin to recall the difficult keys

Reply To Post

68. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

yeah, for some reason I usually like the things none of my friends like. I love improvising and chords and theory and bop scales, and I hate the plain old major scales. People also think i'm weird cuz i like math=) so tonight Claire Daily and Joe Temperly are coming to play with our jazz band at a concert!!! I'm so excited!!!! Any of you heard of them? Joe is from the Lincoln Center jazz orchestra and Claire plays for DIVA.

Reply To Post

69. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

19 years ago

yes im exactly like you i like math and odd scales and theory and shat btw thanks for not inviting me to ur concert HOW THE HELL DID U GET THOSE 2 TO COME! i want them ...well not claire...not DIVA *i know there good* *doesnt make me like them* joes the man tho that crazy scottsman how did you ge tthem?

Reply To Post

70. by jazzfool132
          (144 posts)

19 years ago

so kara did u make districts?

Reply To Post

71. by Dirty_Reggae
          (55 posts)

19 years ago

I love all those things ...........i hate math, lol. Maybe im an exception to you crazy theory/math heads. Well i dont have those 2 (or heard of them) but i have Brain Wallace! TAKE IT! He used to be a big ska scene dude. Legendary Sax player tho. He also used to be my band director but then he quit. still lives in town tho.

Reply To Post

72. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

19 years ago

we had maynard ferguson last year thats the only person weve really had at OUR school other school and people frank mantooth terrel stafford tim warfield bruce williams (who gave me lots of reeds) and lots of locals like buck hill and chris vadala teaches at maryland

Reply To Post

73. by Dirty_Reggae
          (55 posts)

19 years ago

I wish i was cool and given reeds by some guy....

Reply To Post

74. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

omg, Joe was such a jerk!!! at the concert, he literally stared at the drummer straight in the eye and started clapping because our drummer's tempo wasn't good enough for him! It was pathetic! Claire Daly was really nice though.... oh yeah. for districts the cutoff was a 107, and about 65 altos tried out. I got a 104! I'm still really proud though because my director said itz almost impossible for a freshman to break 100. (specially when theyve only been playing 2 yrs)... so yeah, i still did pretty darn good. just got back from the mall. i got my dress for the holiday ball=)

Reply To Post

75. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

aw, i love diva....my trumpet teacher used to play with the trumpet player in diva, so i got to go to their concert n meet them all and stuff. that was pretty cool.

Reply To Post

76. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

I dunno how my school got them to come.... have you ever heard of Joe Viola? (he's written a few books and stuff for saxophone). well he was my conductor's sax teacher way way back, so hez got some pretty good connections. Plus we're up somewhat near new york, which makes it easier for pro musicians to come join our concerts. Massachusetts is a pretty big music state in general. Might be moving next year though=( Yeah, so that freaky senior wanted to go to the holiday ball with me and i turned him down, so he just asked one of my friends !!! (she also got freaked out and turned him down lol). I think i'll just end up goin solo this year. workz for me=) anywayzzz....i cant wait to tell my teacher about districts!! the reason i missed the cutoff was because my high register was slightly sharp (so was my C#)... oh well. still got 3 more years. cya, Kara

Reply To Post

77. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

19 years ago

u didnt invite me! geez i can get to MA intime anyway good job about districts yea i figured joe would be a dick teaches at julliard its expected. i WISH i could get in there but i think id rather go to eastman maybe... anyway have you thought about what your doing this summer? im gonna try and audio recording of me on GASP TENOR from the summer... when i was SO much better than i am now

Reply To Post

78. by Dirty_Reggae
          (55 posts)

19 years ago

Maybe im lame for not knowin this, but what are districts?

Reply To Post

79. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

districts is an audition-only band/orchestra/jazz band/chorus for anyone in the district. those who get the highest scores get an all state recommendation (who can then audition with people from the state)...then to all eastern (or western..)...then to nationals...etc. etc. etc. HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

Reply To Post

80. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

19 years ago

yea they call them counties in so places... im in it but i didnt make state... but it was close i was 3rd by 2 points and second by none i dont know how that works we had the same score it must have been what we lost it from

Reply To Post

81. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

yeah, i wish i had gotten into districts this year. but hey, i'm only a freshman. i've got time. so i posted a question on the Mark 7. what do you all think of that horn? also at districts, i lost points because my extreme high notes were slightly sharp. how can i fix that? THanks, Kara

Reply To Post

82. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

so what's everyone doing for the holidays? we always have an awesome christmas eve party, and my whole extended family goes to church together (this year i'm playing my trumpet at the service i think).. yesterday was our final football game. we did our best half time show yet! we played this team who's marching band went out to do their half time show, but they didnt even move! it was kind of funny because they had these baton twirlers who had fire batons, and they kept on dropping them (complete with the fire) lol. they weren't allowed to use them on the field so they wouldn't burn our turf. but yeah, our half time show was pretty good. we did Pirates of the Caribbean music. I have a jazz band concert coming up - and a concert band concert. i'm really embarrassed being in the concert band because i didnt audition for the higher level one (i should have!), and the one i'm in sucks so bad. our jazz band is pretty good tho, and i have all the soloz cuz i got lead by some miracle.

Reply To Post

83. by Dirty_Reggae
          (55 posts)

19 years ago

Yeh ok! We have those to except we call is County Honor Band, I think its the same thing.. And then we have All State Honor band and they can move up to nationals. I think their the same. Alright, so this one time i went to this Master Class that was being taught by Leo Potts (i dunno if you guys have heard of him, hes a teacher and a big jazz head) anyways he went over the high note thing and he said that we should keep the same ambiture when playing any note on the scale. That confused me cuz i used to tighten up to keep my high register in tune, but he said that if we get used to playing with one ambiture we'll be in tune more of the time and have less to think about (like changing the mouth). So thats all i can say. I cant explain it better cuz it was leo that said it. As for the holidays turkey day was yestarday and i ate SOOOO much turkey! it was insane!!! Oh yeh, go for the 7, but then again im the one who recommended it in the first place. You'll prolly get opposition from a guy named saxman cuz he doesn't like them. Good luck!

Reply To Post

84. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

yeah, my teacher also recommended the mark 7... hez got this awesome mark 6 - i wish we could afford one of those... thanks. yeah, i think i tighten up as the notes get higher...i'll try it out with a tuner. lol, yup, tons of turkey! and pie! i feel so fat right now lol. i ate the food last night and the leftovers today. sok though .. my mom wanted me 2 go on an all fat diet cuz she said i need to gain weight lol. hey, works for me=) cya Kara

Reply To Post

85. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

19 years ago

haha dont listen to your mom kara i wanna go to your concert! haha ill probably go to new york for christmas i may change my mouthpiece... my JJ and i have grown apart... also this whole embochure thing is crazy its hard to explain but obviously you need to keep whatever sound u want the amount of lip and what not on the reed the same, keep and open throat and low breathing but to even out the high notes from being sharp you drop your jaw

Reply To Post

86. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

cool ur going to new york? you should stop by! stop by at my church or something. thatd be pretty cool. can you drive yet? or do ur parents take you? my dad lets me drive around the yard -- hez got these really cool motorcycles. lol, watch out world! i only crashed once (into a tree - that hurt..), so my dad had to take the mirrors off of it and stuff. lol you n ur mouthpiece have grown apart. oh, i'm so sorry.... i've only got a selmer C* and i've been using it for jazz band....not good. i need a new jazz one. the girl who plays 2nd alto has this awesome selmer series III, a meyer 5 mouthpiece, these really good reeds and ligature....and look at me...i've got a beginner alpine, a selmer C*, crappy reeds (although i just got new ones which are pretty good).. so yeah, the embochure thing..i'm kinda confused now. the open throat is what my teacher talks about all the time, and im working on that too. the problem with me dropping my jaw on my sax is it squeaks.... so i try to tighten up so it wont. cya, K-

Reply To Post

87. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Young Sax Forum cont.

oh yeah, i had a question.... what types of saxophones do all of you have (if you're an alto player)? i'm just wondering. it seems like everyone has the Selmer Series III now.

Reply To Post

88. by Dirty_Reggae
          (55 posts)

19 years ago

Back to this embochure thing (however you spell it) I was always taught that you dont move your jaw. You should try to ge used to not tightening or dropping. Keepin the same presssure, the whole range of the sax. Its really weird at first but once you get used to it your whole range will be more in tune because your more used to being in tune in one mouth position. dont drop your jaw and dont tighten. Find a comfortable place and keep it there, but it takes a while to find a comfy one that works. Anyways for alto i play a vintage conn 6m. Dont be ashamed of your C*! I use mine for ballads and slower jazz songs, great inexpensive peice to own. As for faster brighter stuff i use a metal Otto Link Super Tone. But still dont be ashamed of your crappy equipment. You beat that chick even when she had nice stuff so obviously your the better player. Sounds like you dont need nice things to sound good, which is a rare quality thse days.

Reply To Post

89. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

19 years ago

your jaw does drop its the embochure with your lips that is supposed to remain tight as for driving im getting my licsence soon i was too lazy to call the mva but i would in no way be able to drive to new york by myself ... i mean i may do it but id have to take my parents and what not

Reply To Post

90. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

yeah, sometimes it doesnt even really matter to anyone that a 2 yr sax player is lead alto. they're all like "well, your only good at the sax cuz you played trumpet for years." it really sux because i feel like my practicing doesnt matter at all! whoa wait, so ur jaw drops but your lips stay tight?! how does that work? hm...i'm confused now....

Reply To Post

91. by Buddyroach
          (9 posts)

19 years ago

Kara asked in the new forum so I'll answer her question first. I'm 17 years years old and I've been playing saxophone since I was in 6th grade so you can do the math. I have a Reference 54 alto saxophone which I just about 6 months ago. I used to play on a black laquer Keilwerth SX90R but I didn't like it because it didn't "bark" if you know what i mean. The keilwerth was thin and out of tune. As far as the embochure question. It can be answered at www.saxshed.com or if you really want to go deep into it I strongly suggest that you buy the Top Tones for saxophone book by Sigurd M Rascher who recently died in 2001. It shows you how to keep an openthroat and to have a loose embochure. the author of the book had a four octave range on the alto saxophone so I'd take his word for it. I've always wanted to go to New York and at least half of my friends are from there.

Reply To Post

92. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

omg, you have a reference?! that's like my dream horn! since itz out of my price range, the SX90R is my next choice (hopefully the silver nickel), if in my price range. yeah, NY is awesome. my uncle works on Wall Street(right next to the world trade center), so we get to go there and visit. itz really cool! lots of different people. so are you iin the jazz band or anything? i'm lead, which is a miracle because i'm this freshman girl whoz been playing for 2 years. so yeah, the guyz dont like that very much. i also play trumpet (this is my 6th year), and piano, which i also love. just wondering,...how much did your reference cost? and you keilwerth? thanks, Kara

Reply To Post

93. by Dirty_Reggae
          (55 posts)

19 years ago

Back to the embochure thing again. My advice (actually my teachers advice to me) was to not drop your jaw at any time. To keep your entire jaw, lips everything the same for any note on the horn, however the ebochure discussion has sooo many opinions cuz nobody plays the same, ya know? some things work for people and some dont. I think you should buy that book that guy was talkin about cuz it'll help you develop your own style of embochure with what your comfortable with. I live on the west coast and have never been to NYC... but i go to l.a. all the time! lol.

Reply To Post

94. by John Coltrane
          (84 posts)

19 years ago

hmm anyone doing any contest n jazz band this year?

Reply To Post Yahoo!