Saxophone Forum

by buescher.1927
(4 posts)
9 years ago

Buescher True Tone Low Pitch 1927 Alto Saxophone

I have an 88 yr old buescher true tone low pitch alto saxophone, made in 1927. It is currently in for repair and I am a bit confuzzled. I would estimate it hasn't been in for repair for about forty or fifty years. So far since I took it in for repair, it has been mostly buffed up and some of the original silver plating has come off. I am a bit concerned with that. I am contemplatng on whether I should re-plate it or just leave it. If i did, would it bring down it's worth and appearance? Please, any advice I will take into consideration!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

9 years ago

Re: Buescher True Tone Low Pitch 1927 Alto Saxophone

Can you post a couple photos? Thanks!

Reply To Post

1. by buescher.1927
      (4 posts)

9 years ago

This is also because the silver plating is still present on some other keys, and I don't want it to look odd.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by buescher.1927
    (4 posts)

9 years ago

I should have said too. I bought it on eBay for AUD$202. It was worth the price, needs a lot of work done to the keys and had a really bad build up of grime under the keys.  Sorry I didn't get many detailed images of the item and these are the two best I could get. The parts I want replated is one blemish about 4cm long on the bell, near the 'Buescher Elkhart, Indiana' engraving, and most of the keys which a bit of the plating has been worn off, with the brass showing through. 

Reply To Post AIM

1. by GFC
      (842 posts)

9 years ago

Nice little horn for the money!  Replating isn't the hit against a horn's value that relacquering is, but it is time consuming and expensive.  A compromise might be to touch up worn spots with a brush or wand plating kit.  It won't be perfect, but it should look ok.  The ones that operate on house current reportedly work best.  

Reply To Post

3. by joyofsax
    (1 post)

9 years ago

Just got a 1929 Tru Tone alto, completely overhauled by Emilio Lyons, world-renowned Sax Doctor.  Mine is silver, looks like might have been replated, but a quick buff w/ silver polish brought out the depth and character of this wonderful old horn, and I'm sure I have an original finish.  New pads, new corks, proper key alignment and it is simply a joy to play.

Struggled with a King Zephyr for more than year, Buescher is what I've been waiting for.

Mouthpiece is Vandoren Jazz A35, 2.5 reeds, although will try to get aMeyer G  (5) on advice of mentor/teacher/bandmate Amadee Castenell, of New Orleans.

Contact Emili Lyons (face book) or  phone 978-729-6334 or 781-862-6334, 

or www.emiliolyons.com.  Hope you like yours!

Reply To Post

4. by buescher.1927
    (4 posts)

8 years ago

Heyo guys, just thought I'd let you know, I just got the horn back yesterday, and she looks and sounds FANTASTIC! There's a picture attached. I did not end up re-plating it, as apparently it would've cost well over AUD$1,200!!!! Thanks for all your concerns and help, it was very much appreciated! It was certainly worth repairing, it only cost me AUD$540!

Reply To Post AIM