Saxophone Forum

by karebear1012
(395 posts)
19 years ago

Black Laquer?

ok, so one of my friends has a Selmer Series III black laquer alto sax. Another one of my friends said that the black laquer almost muffles the tone, and just getting plain old laquer would be better for it. Is this true? What's wrong with black laquer? Also, are the black nickel keilwerths better compared to plain old laquer? Since the silver nickel horns are slightly over the budget, I'm thinking about going with black nickel (I never really liked black, but it's starting to grow on me...). What do you think? I asked my director about the yanis, and he cringed and said they sound "tinny".... so scratch that idea. I really don't like selmer Series II or III because they're bright, which also knocks yamaha off the list. There's a new brand called Rampone and Cazzoni (I think?). Are they any good? SaxForte sells them. Thanks, Kara

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by barimachine
    (323 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Black Laquer?

i thot i covered this...

Reply To Post

2. by Shaun Thompson
    (3 posts)

19 years ago

try the horns yourself, don't let a band director tell you everything... eventhough they may know alot, they don't know everything and their opinions should be taken with a grain of salt. (I'm not trying to knock your teacher.... just my opinion)

Reply To Post AIM

1. by karebear1012
      (395 posts)

19 years ago

ya did...i just wanted lots of opinions=)

Reply To Post