Saxophone Forum

by k.o. kid
(14 posts)
19 years ago

Best soli?

The sax soli line on Buddy Rich's "Groovin' Hard" has to be one of the best sax soli arrangements out there. Don Menza (of Channel One credenza fame) wrote and arranged it. Any other favorite sax songs out there?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by YanagisawA-901
    (312 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Best soli?

yardbird suit..makes me happy..lol

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by Spike
      (248 posts)

19 years ago

woody herman's arangement of lazy bird. yeah

Reply To Post

1. by karebear1012
        (395 posts)

19 years ago

oh yeah, yardbird suite!! in jazz band we were working on a song called groove merchant. pretty easy song, but itz so much fun to play (has a great sax soli too)!

Reply To Post

2. by YanagisawA-901
      (312 posts)

19 years ago

hahaha!! no way dude..we have groove merchant too..were not playin it tho..thats really below us..haha im not braggin but were a good band..we just need some common sense.. theres another song were playing called.. rythm of the night..thats a nice song..pretty complex sax soli in that.. also were playing an interpretation of all the things you are..its like a latin samba or somthin..nicee..

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by karebear1012
        (395 posts)

19 years ago

you don't like groove merchant? yeah, itz a really easy song. we sight read that on our first day of jazz band. that's it. rhythm of the night....i think we did that one too....

Reply To Post

1. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

19 years ago

we did bebop with just the saxes it was hot especially the arragement for the rest of the band

Reply To Post

2. by peter090
        (155 posts)

19 years ago

Funny, Grove Merchant is "below you" but was good enough for the Thad Jones Mel Lewis big band... The original has one of Thads BEST (though hardly hardest) sax solis. Groovin' Hard (by Don Menza though made famous by Buddy Richs band) is memorably swinging sax soli and sort of a standard of big band literature. If you really want to do it right figure out the articulation and get the whold section to articulate the double time runs together.

Reply To Post

1. by mintyfreshjam
          (48 posts)

19 years ago

You guys should check out Escape Velocity, I Got What?, and Cherry Juice. Easily some of the greatest solis I've ever heard.

Reply To Post