Saxophone Forum

by DoctorCzar
(3 posts)
9 years ago

Need Help Buying a Soprano

Hi there! I'm a brand new account, but have used this webite many times for helpful information and research. Although I'm only a freshman, I've been told I am really good having beating out all our juniors and all but one of our sophmores. I play a YAS-23 alto for concert, a Cannonball Tenor for Jazz band, and even got my hands on a bari for a little while. During marching band season I use my very first alto, a cheap $200 chinese model off of ebay titled 'Anaxa' (No longer exists).  I used that through 7th grade until getting my YAS-23.  With a slight repair and refurbish from the best woodwind repair guy in my area who said in a strong russian accent and I quote, "This is very good horn. Very well built", and the addition of a 4C from my yami makes this chinese thing perfect for marching being very similar to my yami with only slightly worse intonation.  Although my teacher hates them, I would really love a soprano sax to mess around with, improve my overall playing ability, and be great in a sax quartet with my friends [Plus who in highschool can say they've played soprano before :P ]  Not wanting to spend more than about $500-600 I went back to ebay and the chinese/taiwanese saxes.  After much research online from places like this I have found that the brands TopSax, Taishan, and Jean Baptiste are the best. These two in particular caught my eye:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Professional-TaiShan-Antique-Soprano-Saxophone-Bb-High-F-Straight-Sax-With-Case-/121379210808?hash=item1c42c3c638

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Top-Black-Nickel-Straight-Soprano-Saxophone-Sax-High-F-2-Necks-With-Metal-Mouth/171493755673?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D777000%26algo%3DABA.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D32481%26meid%3D209087137be84fe4b9c498aa4e66df5e%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D311441457710

The first one is sold through a very reputable Taishan seller, and I'm seriously considering it.  Still not sure if I want a straight or curved sop, but there seem to be plenty of different combinations from these makers.  With one of these I would almost certainly get a better mouthpeice ranging from a rico graftonite or metalite, 4C, all the way up to an S80 or 90 C*.

My questions include:

• Will I even be able to play a soprano or will it be too huge a jump?
  • Are these good enough saxes for what I want to do?
  • What are relatively inexpensive good mouthieces for new sop players to make these instruments better?

If you have any alternative or better ideas, feel free to speak up!  Thank you!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. No replies yet. Be the first!