Saxophone Forum

by dmarsee
(2 posts)
19 years ago

soprano without strap eye or hook...

My 13 yr-old, a jazz alto player, picked up an inexpensive used Eastern European soprano to fool with. It plays pretty nicely, but it has no ring or hook for a neck strap. He has trouble holding it for very long (he only weighs 85), so he sits with the edge of the bell resting on his knees. Anyone know of a non-invasive way to add a neck strap connector?? thanks, in advance for any advice.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SaxMan
    (559 posts)

19 years ago

Re: soprano without strap eye or hook...

eastern european? it could be a C soprano or sopranino, which are both light enough that most people dont need a hook. the only way I know of is to solder one on.

Reply To Post

1. by dmarsee
      (2 posts)

19 years ago

SM: it is engraved "Classic/DeLuxe/Amati/ Kraslice". I know zip about it, or for that matter any other sax. He picked up a tenor book of Jazz standards (with a cd) and has been playing it... it sounds pretty fair to my untrained ear. Thanks for your responses.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
        (559 posts)

19 years ago

oh ok, that was probably made in Czechoslovakia.

Reply To Post

2. by chiamac
      (586 posts)

19 years ago

I thought my alto (in case) was heavy when I was in 6th grade - now it dosn't. anyway, I would use some duck tape and those plastic zip straps to make a hook. I wouldn't worry about making it look pretty since he is just "fooling around" with it. good luck.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by eman19
        (131 posts)

19 years ago

don't use duck tape, when you take it off it'll look fugly and be hard to get the glue off. Gaffers tape will do the job, and it doesn't leave a residue

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

are you kidding? Don't use tape of any kind! Take it to a tech. It won't cost much to have a hook soldered on. That would be the best way to go.

Reply To Post Yahoo!