Saxophone Forum

by bandgeek
(11 posts)
19 years ago

VIBRATO!?

hi, its been a while since ive posted but im in dire need! I need help with my vibrato, im always being told its too fast. Then, when i try to slow it down, its always to slow... Im really not sure where to go from there and since i have a concert next week i decided to ask any suggestions? -Annie

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by karebear1012
    (395 posts)

19 years ago

Re: VIBRATO!?

maybe instead of thinking about the speed of the vibrato, think about how it relates to the piece. i was always told to just feel the music and naturally add in the vibrato, and that helped me a lot. it should be a very slight woven in piece of emotion, not a choppy "too fast" "too slow" type thing. Good luck!

Reply To Post

1. by spottspidermunki
      (55 posts)

19 years ago

amen to the response. jus make it fit, and make it flow. also, try varying the scoop of the vibrato jus a little, but only variate slightly. too much, and it sounds "intended" and kindof strange. a nice effect though, if done properly. good luck 2 ya in your quest for saxophonic bliss

Reply To Post AIM

2. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Annie, this is something that's only going to take practice. For me, the easiest way to learn to control my vibrato playing sax was to first learn how to control my vibrato singing. I would suggest trying to sing vibrato first. Breathing techniques are also important. If you practice breathing from your diaphram, you will have a much easier time controling the speed and pitch of your vibrato. You may want to take a couple vocal lessons.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by bandgeek
      (11 posts)

19 years ago

thanx for the advice, im workin' on it and i think its working! -annie

Reply To Post AIM

3. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

19 years ago

bandgeek, that's good try playing long, soft, single notes like when you first started then slowly add speed to the scale and the vibrato this can help you to relate one with the other the faster you play the less needed, right? the slower you need it to add expression once controled, it can also help you with your tone hope this helps, keep trying and ENJOY yourself

Reply To Post

1. by jromain
      (20 posts)

19 years ago

Hi- If speed is the primary issue, practice with a metronome to get about 300 cycles per minute. Marcel Mule taught 16ths at quarter=72 (see his Leduc edition of Ferling studies), then later decided 76 was a better speed (Rousseau bio). Prof. Rousseau's is, by his own description, closer to 80. Of course, speed must be artistically varied along with all other parameters, but this gives you a good ballpark. Given the 300-ish speed, you should practice triplets at 100, 16ths at 76, quintuplets at 60, and sextuplets at 50. This variation will give you some flexibility and make certain that you're not only conceiving this in 16ths. Ultimately, it will not be metronomic at all and, as other posts have rightly suggested, will be used with artistic discretion and reflect your study of vocal and string vibrato as well. Good luck! Jim

Reply To Post