Saxophone Forum

by rednecksax
(24 posts)
19 years ago

great finds

I live in a little hick town and went garage sale hunting with my grandmother last weekend and i found a Conn 10M tenor that was an inheritance from this man's father. I didnt have my mouthpiece or anything so i went on instinct and asked him the price for it. $25.00 !!!!!!! can you believe it? i told him it could be a valuable horn worth much more than that (damned morality) but hesaid that he didn't care as long as I vowed to use it to the best of my ability (I guess it pays to be moral). I took it home and it plays like a dream. oh yeah, the best part, it came with 3 mouthpieces; selmer jazz metal paris (E), vintage NY otto link (6*) and a Dukoff 8. I am still amazed by this great find. Just wondering, has anyone else gotten a steal on any mouthpieces or sax?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by FredCDobbs
    (77 posts)

19 years ago

Re: great finds

Rednecksax, you were honest and acted properly. It's great that he sold you the horn as priced after you spoke to him . Congratulations on a magnificent find, and for doing it the right way!

Reply To Post

2. by snowsax
    (11 posts)

19 years ago

hey, i'm hoping for similar luck , but live in the city, where such deals are much harder to come by...but i did find a conn online, and wonder what you think of it...would really appreciate any advice thanks www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=1136842

Reply To Post

1. by eman19
      (131 posts)

19 years ago

I got a similar deal on my martin. My dad got it back in the 70's for $40! After some professional tlc and about $240 on my part, the thing plays great. It sat unused for about 26 years in my home, waiting for me to pick it up I guess=o). Having it is what got me into playing.

Reply To Post

1. by Hexaclon
        (90 posts)

19 years ago

Hey dude.. Do you have the selmer mouthpiece for sale?

Reply To Post AIM

2. by saxman0317
      (53 posts)

19 years ago

hey if u can somehow get ur hands on that, and it has a deal that it can be returned, pick it up man! Conns are great horns, i happen to have an alto from the 30's that i think sounds better than almost any other horn ive found. If u can get it for that price and put alittle tlc into it, maybe a compleate overhaul, it will be well worth the price my friend.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

19 years ago

I bought a martin indiana (or indian, or something) my soph year in high school from a graduating senior. It was $350 and came with a soft case, selmer concert mouthpiece, and this old metal mouthpiece that looked like a pos. Turns out that metal piece is a 8* florida link. I don't know the full story behind how he got it. In fact I really don't want to dig too deep into it. My friend had another sweet find at a garage sale. Some girls across the street were getting rid of a bunch of crap they had. One of those things was a receiver that they said didn't work. They only wanted $3 for it saying that it the volume wouldn't work. Turns out there was a gain knob or something that was turned all the way down. So there was really nothing wrong with it at all. The best part is that it's a Yahama natrual sound receiver, not made anymore, and worth $800-900 on ebay.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM