Saxophone Forum

by BariSaxplyr
(35 posts)
19 years ago

Unlaqured Horns

Recently I played an unlaqured Z series tenor in a store, and I loved the sound. I was wondering if anyone out there knew how much this would affect the horns playability over time. My horn now is missing laquer in different parts from natural wear, but this is the first I've heard of horns being manufactured without laquer.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by John Coltrane
    (84 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Unlaqured Horns

cannonballs r the same way. i suppose it gives the vintage look and tone over time. darker tone i suppose. hmm suprised you havent heard of that

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by BariSaxplyr
      (35 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah I was just wondering if they became discolored fast or if they are more prone to surface pitting and stuff

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

19 years ago

Unlacquered brass will definitely tarnish up quicky, but I think that's part of the appeal to those who like the look. I think that extra care should be taken to keep the instrument clean and dry when the brass is bare - and I don't necessarily mean polishing it all the time. Certainly, pitting and other corrosive activity is going to be more prevalent when the finish is not protected from the acids and oils in your skin and sweat. Doesn't mean your horn will look like swiss cheese in 5 years or anything - just practice good sax hygeine and the instrument should hold up similar to any other.

Reply To Post

1. by BariSaxplyr
          (35 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for the info man.

Reply To Post