Saxophone Forum

by queen of the saxes
(9 posts)
19 years ago

Jazzin' Up Your Sounds!!

O.K. I am only a freshman in high school this year, but i really want to learn some of those wicked jazzy sounds, like bending and making your instrument sound all sad and then happy. well if any one could give me some advice on how to produce some of these kewl sounds, i'd really appreciate it. To all the saxes. . . . . . . . . ~~RoCk On~~

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by queen of the saxes
    (9 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Jazzin' Up Your Sounds!!

Ohh yeah I play Alto and i'm gettin a soprano for x-mas!!!!!! If that helps.

Reply To Post

1. by mintyfreshjam
      (48 posts)

19 years ago

Listen to the greats play, and then, once you have that sound in your head, just play around with it until you sound like them. Transcribe solos without writing them down. You'll memorize it and be able to make it yours. When you do this, pay attention to every detail. Make every sound they do and every articulation.

Reply To Post

1. by Firk
        (31 posts)

19 years ago

when you say happy and sad, i'm assuming you mean bright vs. dark. i bright sound will come from a firm emboucher and a straight flow of air. a darker sound will come from warm soft air with a slightly looser emboucher, but make sure you aren't playing out of tune. a good mouthpiece will help but that's another story. to bend a note, just drop your jaw and bring it back up. there are two ways to a vibrato. moving your jaw or changing air flow. i'd reconmend changing air flow because moving your jaw will alter your sound and intonation. practice without the horn and then add it in later. just mess around with the stuff and have fun. some of it will just kinda click after while ~firk

Reply To Post

1. by queen of the saxes
          (9 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks guys, Ya'll were a great help! Saxists RULE!!! lol :P

Reply To Post

2. by phathorn
          (165 posts)

19 years ago

I would have to disagree on the vibrato part. Most saxophonists manage to use jaw vibrato without changing the sound or intonation.

Reply To Post

3. by saxguy9345
          (21 posts)

19 years ago

If you change your airstream that significantly, to create vibrato, it will effect much more than intonation. I used to use air stream, but when I started taking lessons from a professor, she singled that out as one of the first things we had to correct. That was a little over 2 years ago, and I find jaw vibrato the way to go if you want consistancy and a direct, consistant air flow (equals=good tone).

Reply To Post AIM