Saxophone Forum

by mismurcia
(2 posts)
19 years ago

PLEASE, I NEED HELP TO KNOW WHERE MY SAX WAS MADE

Hi, to anyone who consider himself a sax lover like me. I need help. I'm the owner of a 16M director conn sax. It was made in the late 60's and its serial number is K81899. Cuold someone help me? I want to know if tha sax was made at the USA or not. Thanks a lot.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: PLEASE, I NEED HELP TO KNOW WHERE MY SAX WAS MADE

According to Dr. Rick's list your sax was made in 1967 www.drrick.com/conn.html This horn was made in Elkhart, Indiana. Conn didn't move production to the Nogales, Arizona until late 1968.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by saxismyaxe
    (575 posts)

19 years ago

Hi Mismurcia, The serial number you have given indicates that the horn was made in 1967. Were it a 10M, I could say with some certainly that it was made in Elkhart, IN at the old Conn plant; Conn's pro lines were still being made in the Elkhart facility by Conn's better craftsmen (those that were still with the company at this point). However, this was the era when Conn was rapidly moving production down to Nogales, AZ, and therefore quality began to take a real nose dive for them. Conn's superb "lifer" company craftsmen were being retired without suitable replacement due to a shift to cheaper instruments across the production line, and craftsmanship was indifferent at best. By 1970, Conn had all but ceased production of their pro "M" Artist series of horns, and all remaining intermediate/student horns were now made at the old Best instrument plant in Nogales. Honestly, the Director models from this era are not the most consistent quality, but not quite to the low level of the Mexi-Conn horns to follow just a few years later. Some of my colleagues have claimed that they possess good playing later production Director's model horns (although I have not personally found this to be the case), so perhaps you have one of these. Best of luck. Mike S.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
      (575 posts)

19 years ago

Sorry Jim, I was writing my answer up at the same time you posted yours. If there is a Conn question, one of us is likely to jump on it! There seems to be some debate as to when Conn began to shift production of their Student line of horns to the Nogales facility. As I hinted at my above post, their pro line of horns were likely fazed out by the time Conn was firmly entrenched at the Best facilities, although there are a few horns in existence that might have been made in Nogales C. 1970. I haven't come across any "M" horns from that date/manufacture myself, however.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

From what I've heard Mike, The M series horns were not made in Nogales until later 1968, and by 1969 all of the horns were moved to Nogales. Most of the horns made up through 1970 were made in Nogales, although they might as well have been made in Mexico because there wasn't much difference in quality. In 1971, MacMillan started shipping everything across the border. I have a question for you. I just finished a 1922 Conn C Melody. I cleaned it up and repadded it. It has the straight microtuner neck and rolled tone holes. Not a particularly valuable horn, but cool. Some of the notes sound a little stuffy and the intonation is a little off. On some of the lower notes, it wants to bellow (like low C and below). I've been playing with it and it's getting worse instead of better! any ideas?

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

19 years ago

Hi Jim, I apologize for not making my post clear on the subject. By "M" horn, I was referring to the "M Artist" series, such as the 6m, 10m, 11/12M etc. not the Directors models. Most believe, including myself, that Conn never manufactured the last of their pro line in Nogales, having dropped production by the time they had switched locations for good. However, recently a few supposed Mexi-Conn 10Ms have surfaced and fueled debate over the Manufacture location of the very last 10Ms Conn made. The Director's models are another story. I got a little sidetracked off of the main question there. Regarding the C Melody, I have the same problem with a few of my Wonder and New Wonder I C Melodies I have (Only the Conn models, not problem with my Bueschers and Martins), I have found (After confirming that the horn is indeed sealing properly) that a Mouthpiece change helped considerably. I've tried the Runyon, Morgan, Vintage Conn C-Melody mouthpieces and found that the Morgan works suitably, and really seems to open up the horn through the range. The Bob Ackerman modified Conn original Rubber piece is horrible, and makes the horn sound like a duck call. I haven't played an original C. C melody mouthpiece that worked well. Check your horn to make sure you don't have any leaks, and that the key height is suitably high; These Conns really benefit from a rather high action. The fact that it is getting worse, realy suggests to me that it might be a leak, rather than the mouthpiece. Have you been to the C melody site: mysite.verizon.net/res8o1o8/cmelody2.htm This forum has more conversation dedicated to the C melody Sax in particular, and might be of some help. Good Luck! Mike S.

Reply To Post

2. by mismurcia
          (2 posts)

19 years ago

thanks a lot!!!!! is lovely to know that there are two saxophone experts, redy to answer our questions. you two are great!!!!!!

Reply To Post