Saxophone Forum

by lake4wa
(13 posts)
19 years ago

conn alto 1924

What do you think about this sax for a high school kid? I’m considering buying it for my son. Any idea what its worth? Is it difficult to play? This is a vintage 1924 CG Conn Ltd Silver Sax with Dec 8, 1914 Patented “drawn tone holes”. This instrument plays perfectly and is in excellent condition. It comes with hard case, mouthpiece, neck strap, and reeds. This saxophone is in the New Wonder series (produced 1917 - 1924) which includes the ROLLED tone holes, pearl keys, and Microtuner.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SelmerParisPassion
    (59 posts)

19 years ago

Re: conn alto 1924

Sure, why not. If he's not serious, though, just buy a shooting Star conn- you'll get those for about 125 on ebay. Good student horn. No need to waste $$ on something he won't use/doesn't need. Christie

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: conn alto 1924

the older Wonder, New Invention and New Wonder Series I horns were a little fussy. These horns can be a pain to keep adjusted and to keep them in tune. Probably not a good choice for a high school student. A Conn 6M would probably be the best choice, although 6M's usually go for more money. The 6M is built very well and is still considered by many to be one of the finest altos ever made. The earlier Directors Model Conns with the shooting stars are good horns, and can be bought cheap. They're more of a student-intermediate level horn, while the 6M is a pro model (The 10M's little sister)

Reply To Post Yahoo!