Saxophone Forum

by diminishedpower
(25 posts)
19 years ago

yamaha 875

What do you guys think of this horn? I've played a couple of horns like selmer series 3 and reference 54. but i was looking at the 875. what you think of overall? Does it lean itself more towards jazz or legit? or equal.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by p-apple
    (49 posts)

19 years ago

Re: yamaha 875

I *think (don't quote me on this)* that yamaha made the yamaha 875 leaned more towards the classical side and yamaha 82z leaned more towards the jazz. However, to be truthful I thought neither of them wowed me but both are solid instruments and you CAN play legit and jazz well on the 875 (with different mpcs/reeds and etc) My question is did you like the reference? IMO, the reference is a whole level better than 875 but then again that's just my opinion and I only tried out one 875 and one reference. - William Chen

Reply To Post

1. by phathorn
      (165 posts)

19 years ago

I'm lucky enough to have owned an 875 for the past 14 years (low 4 digit serial #). I would not trade that horn for any other horn made. I've had more than one offer to trade MkVI altos straight up for my horn. It's a very versatile horn. I was trained classically and now use it in jazz/rock settings. It handles either easily.

Reply To Post

2. by nad1rn
    (37 posts)

19 years ago

i have an 82 custom z and i bought it because it is made especially for jazz but with an s80 it sounds real nice for classical. when i bought it i was comparing it against a selmer super action 80 series 2. the 875ex appears to be geared towards cassical playing.

Reply To Post AIM