Saxophone Forum

by handley
(3 posts)
19 years ago

simba

Does anyone have any experience with Simbas, particularly a soprano? Thanks for your help.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: simba

Hmmm....Simba???? Wasn't he the Lion in the Disney movie The Lion King? Yeah, I watched that movie with my nephew. Cute movie. I enjoyed it. I couldn't resist....Sorry. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by chiamac
      (586 posts)

19 years ago

"Hmmm....Simba???? Wasn't he the Lion in the Disney movie The Lion King? Yeah, I watched that movie with my nephew. Cute movie. I enjoyed it." I get to see the theator production in March (I think... I just know it's in a few months) Needless to say I'm stoked!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by karebear1012
      (395 posts)

19 years ago

lol...really nice there Jim. Simbas? is that really a brand?

Reply To Post

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

19 years ago

Yes its a brand, but don't get that, you're asking for trouble. For a good horn, look for a good used Yamaha or yanagisawa fer starters, or a new Antigua will is a great choice.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

btw, I agree consaxman_jim, cute movie

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by saxismyaxe
        (575 posts)

19 years ago

I remember when these first hit the U.S. Market. This product is TRUELY only worthy of making into a lamp or wall hanging. I believe they are made in India by a brass exporter who previously concentrated on making cheap decorative bugles, hunting horns etc. Run don't walk away from this junk.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

19 years ago

Correction to my above post. I took a look at my resources, and the Simba line is just another cheap Chinese stencil horn. The Indian made horns I was thinking of were unbelievable. They were hand hammered (think cheap Pier 1 brass flower pots) made roughly to the original A. Sax designs with a range from low B to E, and no chromatic keywork. The corker was, instead of leather pads, they have Felt, yes Felt pads. Forget about playing it even as a toy instrumet, because it isn't going to happen. Never the less, I'd stay away from the Simba horns, and find something suitable to a serious student.

Reply To Post

3. by sharp5
        (4 posts)

19 years ago

As a band director I have seen a number of these cheap instruments infiltrating the market and the hands of some of my students. They are not good quality and always cause more problems and frustrations than the money the parents think they are saving. I had to do a lot of work to one kids alto. The local repair shop wouldn't touch it. The trumpets...forget it. One cheap Asian soprano that I found that seems to be okay, believe it or not, is Sugal's horn. I bought if from him dirt cheap on ebay. I guess everyone is skeptical; bid’s didn’t get high. I was not expecting anything wonderful, just something to mess around with, and I was surprised. I currently play an 82Zu tenor and Selmers before that. I played high end Selmers and Yamaha sopranos in college so I have a pretty good idea of quality and knew I would get what I paid for. When the horn arrived I was pleasantly surprised. The darn thing plays in tune and gets a good sound. I've used it live and on some recording sessions. One day I will get a nice soprano but for now it does the job. Oh yea...Sugal puts it in a @^*!&* simba case.

Reply To Post

4. by handley
        (3 posts)

19 years ago

I appreciate all of the replies I have received. One final query: Is anyone familiar with the Bentley brand sold on e-bay by someone in the U.K.?

Reply To Post

1. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

The ebay horns are all something to be wary of. Stick to a horn, vintage or new, from a company with a reputation behind it. "The big four" for new horns are Keilwerth, Selmer, Yamaha, and Yanagisawa, and you can alos get a good deal on those if you buy used. Other good modern horns include the Cannonballs, Antiguas, and the Jupiters, both which also get very good press. There are also a large number of good vintage horns to consider, like Conn, King, Selmer, Beuscher, Martin, etc. Check out www.saxpics.com where Pete Hales has tons of pictures and history on all the different Vintage horn Companies and some of the new ones. For instruments, Ebay is a crapshoot, and I recomend that beginners stay away from it, and stick to someone that specializes in instruments when getting a first horn.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM