Saxophone Forum

by craigsean
(1 post)
8 years ago

Buying an Alto and looking for advice.

I am looking to buy an Alto saxophone (New) and was wondering if anyone had any comments/reviews about this particular model, http://www.musicaid.com/work/new-gulf-alto-sax-750-00/ If you have any suggestions about another model that would be awesome! I played in highschool and want to get back into it so i am not looking for anything over 800$. Thanks in advance! 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxlover70
    (14 posts)

8 years ago

Re: Buying an Alto and looking for advice.

Well your options for a quality new saxophone would be very limited. I bought my alto used at a pawn shop for 107, I got a hell of a deal with it being a Buescher and American made. But if you want to take a chance try Amazon, but remember two things, one make sure the one you want to purchase has a serial number, repair shops don't touch horns without a serial number. And those saxophone are made in china, most have thin brass and very crappy mechanisms. However try the Legacy line, think a alto from them is in the 400 dollar range. Legacy has serial numbers on their horns and from from what I gather they are pretty decent instruments. So there's that, I would do a lot of research into any sax I purchase. The Legacy line I spent a while because I'm looking into buying a tenor sax myself. I hope this helps. 

Reply To Post