Saxophone Forum

by jlb
(8 posts)
19 years ago

Conn Chu-berry??

I have a tenor here that was given to me for free ( a guy found it on a job site and didn't want it)....it is stamped Conn Ltd on the bell and the serial number is M253417. There is a T above the number and an L (for low pitch, obviously) under the serial number. It is indeed a tenor. It has rolled tone holes and is laquered brass...not overhauled at any time as far as I can assertain. I have read other threads regarding the Chu-berry horns and am wondering if this is one, and, if so, what the value of it might be (knowing that realistically it is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it :) And I figure I am not out anything since I got it for free. No surprise that the case stinks like hell and is that great 1920/30' purple interior! Any info is greatly appreciated!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Conn Chu-berry??

GEREAT HORN!! If you want to get it adjusted and play it yourself, you have a good vintage horn to do so, but If you want to sell it, you're lookng probably at $1200 US i think.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Judging from the serial number Jessica it is a later model "Chu Berry" actually a New Wonder Series II. These saxophones were made between 1925 and 1932. Your serial number indicates 1932. 1932 is the beginning of the transitional period between the New Wonder series II horns and the M series 10M (tenor). The M series came out in 1934. Your sax might have a unique engraving or features and keywork found on the later M series horns. It's interesting that yours is lacquered brass. Most of these horns were silver plated for a few more years. Lacquered brass was a pretty new thing. What is the engraving on the bell? Are you sure the brass is lacquered and not gold plated? What you have here is quite a treasure. I'd like to see some pictures to give you a more accurate quote, but like Definition said, it's worth at least $1200 and probably closer to $1500. Restored and made playable, it could easily be worth $2500, and if it happens to have one of the more elaborate engravings, it could be worth $3000 or more.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by jlb
      (8 posts)

19 years ago

Unfortunately the engraving on the bell is very minimal. All that is engraved is Made by Conn Ltd Elkhardt USA. I guess it could be gold plated, but it looks very dark for gold. There are no dents whatsoever in the horn, which makes me happy. I have to go to work this morning, but I will post pictures later today....if I can figure out how (any clues? I can try sending them directly to your mailbox. Look for them later today). I feel kind of foolish not knowing what I have because I am a tech. But luckily that means that I can get it up and running myself and pay nothing over the price of materials and my own time :) Thank you both for the info. Lookihng forward to hearing more. I have a couple of other horns that I picked up "for a song" that I will post about after I get more info on this one. Thanks again!

Reply To Post