Saxophone Forum

by markseez
(17 posts)
19 years ago

looking for advice on yanagisawa or gasiwana tenor sax

I, i'm new with your forum and got interested by those long reflexions on Conn vintage Sax because someone else I Know just happened to discover another one in the closet(lol). I have been playing tenor sax for about six years and play call it semi-pro with a rock band asthe only brass against (with) the guitars. From the start I took the vintage yanagiwasa that belongs to my wife. It was made probably in the seventys, it bears the Yana trade mark some sort of a "U" but was made for another company called SEVERIN (engravement). I use an old Berg Larsen 102 SMS (1960-70) and also a recent one 110 2 SMS. With the band I have to play a lot of Bobby Keys solo for R. stones Songs and it happens for me that B. Keys (isn't he from Texas?) is one of the best in his sound and unique style. As i look to pictures of him playing i think he might be using a berg and surely not a yana. I like the yanagasiwana and it does the job as the tech who takes care of it tells me but if i was to graduate to a new sax, is there some intermediate class of sax or just adding resonators to the yani will make a difference and bring me closer to his sound? The tech told me he could buff away the varnish? When I practice I use jazz methods and a classic book and like it. The classic tenor sound I listen to are: rollins, c. hawkins, y lateef, and the late stanley Turrentine. The other day I heard a guy playing a TenorMartin low pitch, it sounded excellent. Must I really go to stores and try whatever they propose use or new?. Any comments suggestion is welcome, thanks for your attention or response.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by eman19
    (131 posts)

19 years ago

Re: looking for advice on yanagisawa or gasiwana tenor sax

I wouldn't suggest buffing the horn to remove the laquer. If you really want it remove, there are chemical methods that wouldn't hurt the horn as much as buffing can. I play a martin, its a great horn. However, each to their own. My Buescher tenor can really get that old school hawkins and young sound, if that's what you like. Generally though, its the player, not (yes the horn does matter but IMHO not as much as the player) the horn that gets your sound. If you decide to get a new horn, go for a nice vintage conn, martin, buescher, king or selmer, or for a new horn made by yamaha, selmer or kielwerth. I hope that helps. Also, sometimes just practicing to a recording of the person your trying to sound like helps.

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
      (586 posts)

19 years ago

"I wouldn't suggest buffing the horn to remove the laquer." true, but I wouldn't want to put new laquer or plating on scratches and crap... so you would need to buff it a little.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by markseez
        (17 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks but what the use to take away the lacquer? The tech tells me it gives a brighter sound, I thaught it would do the opposite

Reply To Post