Saxophone Forum

by shawnpcarney
(2 posts)
8 years ago

Unidentified Italian Sax (Advice)

Hey there, I played sax for about 10 years, but it's been a long time since I've touched one... and I don't really remember much about how to identify quality. I'm looking for one that will get me back into it for little money (don't need a super amazing horn or anything). 

This one is for sale on craigslist as an "Unidentified Italian" model. Anyone have any thoughts on it? Or any other advice?

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/msg/5458585135.html

Thanks a lot! 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by JonHuff
    (117 posts)

8 years ago

Re: Unidentified Italian Sax (Advice)

Personally, I would stick to a sax with an established name brand behind it. The photos also show older pads, you don't want to buy it and end up having to pay for a repad too, that's not cheap. Good luck in your search.

Reply To Post

2. by GFC
    (842 posts)

8 years ago

I'd steer clear.  Italy produced a lot of poorly made horns with an "Evette-Schaeffer" or "Malerne" type design for sale under merchandisers' brands.  That appears to be one of them.  You can see signs of poor workmanship all over that horn.  The gap between the B and the Bis Bb keytouches is ridiculously large.  There are excessive gaps and poor alignment in the LH and RH clusterrs.  Then there's the alignment of the low Eb key - geesh! A real problem if you want it to be leak-free.  

Reply To Post

1. by shawnpcarney
      (2 posts)

8 years ago

Thanks for the advice! I decided to go with a 50's Conn Pan American that actually plays and sounds pretty great. From a guy I trust. Thanks again. 

Reply To Post