Saxophone Forum

by vintage-markVI
(12 posts)
19 years ago

need solo jazz piece FAST ! ! ! !

i've been nominated for GHP, which is the governors honors program, for jazz here in georgia. if i make it i get to spend 6 weeks studying with top notch pros in the summer...learning and playing and growing as a musician. i need a solid piece to play for my audition....nothing ridiculous...but nice and solid...hard if you would...but not easy....you guys know what i mean....give me some ideas ASAP PLEASE ! ! need to get to work on this as soon as i can...thanks. -nick

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by eman19
    (131 posts)

19 years ago

Re: need solo jazz piece FAST ! ! ! !

The great ones that I like are: Coleman Hawkins, Body and Soul Lester Young Lester Leaps in Lady Be Good Charlie Parker Bird of Paradise Parkers Mood Louis Armstrong Struttin with some B'B'Q Some of the great old chestnuts, they should be good, and generally not to hard to find a transcription of. Adderly does some great stuff on all blues as well, I hope that helps

Reply To Post

1. by selmerfan
      (67 posts)

19 years ago

I'd have to agree with the Charlie Parker, Parker's Mood recommendation, pretty easy to memorize, forces you to COUNT! Also recommend Donna Lee, not too hard to memorize, and once you've got the head down, the solo is easier! Both can be found in the Omnibook

Reply To Post

2. by tsax_player
    (76 posts)

19 years ago

Congrats on your nomination! those other guys gave you some great standard tunes (some of my favorites). Have you considered 'All The Things You Are', or 'Have You Met Miss Jones'?The changes are a little harder than those others but would be very nice if you pulled them off. They are both great standards you will play forever..... If you are looking for a little more edge and are feeling brave check out some Wayne Shorter tunes. Maybe 'Speak No Evil' or 'Fee Fi Fo Fum'. Let the changes do the work for you, find leading tones and other chord tones that move up, or down, chromatically (there are quit a few in these two). Good Luck let us know how it goes.!!

Reply To Post

1. by eman19
      (131 posts)

19 years ago

'All The Things You Are' and 'Bird of Paradise' are the same changes. All Parker did was add a new intro and then just solo'd over the changes from 'All The Things You Are'

Reply To Post

3. by tsax_player
    (76 posts)

19 years ago

Bird of Paradise is a contrafact of All The Things but I think for an audition you should probably play All The Things (its more of a standard piece). But if not make sure you remember the intro to Bird Of Paradise because you will start All The Things with Birds intro very often.

Reply To Post

1. by mintyfreshjam
      (48 posts)

19 years ago

Hank Mobley - Soul Station Most Bird Benny Golson - Whisper Not Gene Ammons/Sonny Stitt - There is no Greater Love Cannonball Adderley - Autumn Leaves Joe Henderson - Recorda Me

Reply To Post