Saxophone Forum

by teroblacknight
(1 post)
19 years ago

Mark VI Help

I'm a senior in high school this year, and i got suckered into buying a not-so-good LA Sax a few years ago. I really want to get rid of the thing, and I've heard that the Mark VI is legendary, but they vary from model to model. Of course not every sax will sound the same, but what should I look for in a Mark VI if I'm looking to buy?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Mark VI Help

Dont narrow your choices to only a Mark VI. If you want to go vintage like the VI, also be sure to check out the Conn 10M, the King Zephyr, the King Super 20, "The Martn", Buescher True Tone, Buescher Aristocrat, and the Buescher 400/Top Hat and Cane. All of those are also quite 'legendary' and some players (Myself and others on this forum) prefer them. Also, dont ever count out the new horns. Try looking at Kielwerth, Selmer, Yamaha, and Yanagisawa. (The big Four) Also other horns that are great you dont want to count out are the jupiters, cannonball big bell global series, coufs, B&S (Medusa), Rampone &Cazzani, Amtigua, and Unison. Plus some of the Vintage stencil horns are also great, like the Pan American, a Conn Stencil. I will tell you, For me a VI didnt do it. I've had 3 over time, and My King Super 20 Silversonic played circles around them!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

19 years ago

But if you do go for that VI, be ready to shell out your money!! Those horns are very over priced, and most of what you pay for is the Mark IV name, because so many of the great players played VIs(of course, many greats played other horns!) If you are going to pay the big bucks for the horn, buy it in person where you can play test it first, for intonation, etc. Another thing to be ready to pay is for an over haul, all new pads, etc which is something lots of vintage horns need when you first get them. Also, make sure that it isnt a relaquer, those hurt you if done poorly. make sure the serial numbers match, that it hasnt had any huge repairs before, and that it isnt falln apart. That goes really just for the Mark VI< but any Vintage horn. The best advice anyone can give you is to look into and try as many different types of horns as you can and get the one that is right for you. Just dont be narrow-minded and think only a VI will do.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by p-apple
        (49 posts)

19 years ago

Another thing you might want to do is try the Modern copied- Mark VIs. Basically all the Yamaha and Yanagisawa are copied Mark VI or vintage Selmers. They're really quite good and who knows, you might like them, plus it's not so much of a sticker shock. You can get a good yamaha pro or yanagisawa pro for only mid $2k.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

If you buy a Mark VI, buy an earlier one (5 digit serial number). Even so, I have a 1954 Mk VI, and I'd much rather play my 1948 10M or my 1958 Super 20

Reply To Post Yahoo!