Saxophone Forum

by ppamhk
(4 posts)
19 years ago

Your Experience on Selmer SBA Alto

Would be delighted to hear your view (no matter it would be gd, bad or ugly....) on SBA Alto and how does it compare with other vintage altos. Also, don't you think it's a good idea to use the SBA alto with metal mpc such as Beechler or Link? Thanks. ppamhk

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Your Experience on Selmer SBA Alto

I own a 1952 Selmer SBA. The horn is in excellent condition and was professionally relacquered and repadded a few years before it was given to me by my uncle. The action on the SBA is super like the name suggests. It plays and sounds as smooth as silk. It's not as punchy and doesn't project like my Conn 6M, Chu berry or Buescher 400. The Selmer is better for orchestral stuff, pop, and legit music, while the 6M is better for jazz and rock. I especially like the Chu for blues.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by ppamhk
      (4 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Your Experience on Selmer SBA Alto

Thanks for the sharing, Connsaxman. Mine is a 1948 SBA. This is my first sax. I am happy with it though I have not tried other brands and hence can't make any comparison. I tend to play more contemporary music so I may buy another sax or change my mouthpiece (currently using Meyer 7M hard rubber). Oh, by the way, I wonder if someone could recommend good sax restoration technicans who charge reasonably? Thanks.

Reply To Post