Saxophone Forum

by YanagisawA-901
(312 posts)
19 years ago

Im having tone problems again..

i have a few problems.. low, and high.. thats actually only 2..heh but every low note works sept. for Bb, im thinkn it might be my reed tho, i kno its not mechanics, ive lookd for leaks and my teacher has "played for leeks" and checkd and he couldnt find serious problems either..so i migth try a new reed soon but, my higher notes, i guess its altissimo? i need to start knowing terms more.. but basically an A and above i lose my "reed-ie" jazz sound.. i have a smoother reed-like sound on everything but up there.. i want it to be kinda raspy and smooth instead of a screaming sound of, obnoxiousness you kno?? any help?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Im having tone problems again..

tighten your diaphram, and support your breathing, speeding up your stream. Dont confuse this with blowing harder!!! That should help alot. Also, what type of mouthpiece/reed are you using? Another thing you might want to try is taking in a little more mouthpiece, that will get you a clearer tone, and easier attack on the notes also, as well as thicken your tone too. It will feel weird at first, but will help you in the long run.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by YanagisawA-901
      (312 posts)

19 years ago

well ive actually been workn on takn less mouthpiece.. im about 1/3 of the way on the mouthpiece. i see what your sayn about the move your air faster. i know exactly what u mean. im using a selmer c* and either a vandoren java or v16. im more partial to the javas however.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

19 years ago

Don't try and use less mouthpiece, whatever you do! It will close off your sound making it choked. You should use as much mouthpiece as you can and still tongue, if that makes sense to you. Most of my students are at least halfway and more on their mpcs.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by YanagisawA-901
          (312 posts)

19 years ago

yea i see what ur sayn bro.. cuz i just started taking less mouthpiece.. not really to the point of having too little i think.. my teacher sed it looked like i was deep throughting the piece. i has less than a fingers width btwn my lip and that lil thing on the mouthpiece. i was told that u should have no more or less than an index fingers width btwn them. ill give it a shot def. LATA!! =P

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by saabtech
          (20 posts)

19 years ago

sounds like you're doing everything right. i've always hated anything but basic orange box rico on the c*. vandorens never worked for me. i would say ease up on the embuchore, open up that throat, and plenty of air support. sonny d. pa

Reply To Post

3. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

19 years ago

It could still be leaks. It could also be a facing on your mouthpiece that isn't condusive to low-end response. It could be improper embochure or support, It could be an accoustic defect in the design of your horn.

Reply To Post

4. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

What kind of sax are you playing? On my alto, I really have to tighten up and actually not blow as hard to hit 3rd octave F#. The mouthpiece/reed combination is a major factor. I was just lucky enough to find the right reeds for my Conn Precision plastic mouthpiece; Frederick L Hempke's. I like em. Even new reeds, when broken in, play beautiful. Another thing, obviously, is to just practice. Practice starting at an A, then working your way up to high F if possible. I'm lucky and have the F# key on my alto (can't figger out the altissimo F# fingering for my tenor :( ). I'm working on altissimo fingerings now, and I'm finding they're very difficult if you're ombeshure and if your air flow aren't in perfect harmony. Good luck!

Reply To Post

2. by golferguy675
        (600 posts)

19 years ago

I would still have your horn checked for leaks by a tech for that low Bb, it can be tricky spotting leaks like those, because they aren't necessarily located at the Bb Key. As for the thin sound in your upper register(altissimo is triple G and higher), it's your throat, and your mouthpiece. Open your throat up, and let more air flow(not the same as playing louder). Also, a C* isn't anything for jazz. Band directors seem to be obsessed with them, but don't think they're that great for either jazz or legit. For jazz, get a large chamber piece. Try an Otto Link 6* or Meyer, they're both the same deal for the most part. Both are under a hundred bucks, and it'll have you playing with more expression, flexibility, and a fuller sound. You may not notice it at first, but as you learn to play a jazz mouthpiece, you notice a huge difference.

Reply To Post

1. by mintyfreshjam
          (48 posts)

19 years ago

Blow faster air for the Bb and just play the altissimo more. The more you play, the more natrual sounding and easier it will be. You ovbiously have the sound you want in your head. The idea is to create it. If you play it enough, eventually that sound will find it's way from your head to your horn. Repetition is key here.

Reply To Post