Saxophone Forum

by anthonyz
(6 posts)
19 years ago

King Zephyr mouthpiece?

Does anyone have any thoughts for a mouthpiece that might bring out the best in my Late 30's King zephyr II. Or any other thoughts on the zephyr, lots here on the Conn's and selmers but not so much on the Kings.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by anthonyz
    (6 posts)

19 years ago

Re: King Zephyr mouthpiece?

It's a Tenor Zephyr II. What do i want to sound like? Warm and dark rather than bright i guess. Another thing, we know who played the Conn's and Selmers but who used to play the Kings before the Super 20?

Reply To Post

2. by definition
    (963 posts)

19 years ago

try a metal berg!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by blackfrancis
    (396 posts)

19 years ago

Alto or tenor? A metal berg is great for tenor- make sure you try different chambers and lays. Links are good too. What do you want to sound like? Lots of choices out there so see if you can go to a big, well stocked store and try a broad range. Take notes. In other words, go shopping! I have no feedback on the Zephyr from personal experience (I play a Super 20 tenor), but I have some friends that love 'em. I know I love my King.

Reply To Post

1. by anthonyz
      (6 posts)

19 years ago

It's a Tenor Zephyr II. What do i want to sound like? Warm and dark rather than bright i guess. Another thing, we know who played the Conn's and Selmers but who used to play the Kings before the Super 20?

Reply To Post

2. by anthonyz
      (6 posts)

19 years ago

Reply To Post

3. by anthonyz
      (6 posts)

19 years ago

Reply To Post

4. by anthonyz
      (6 posts)

19 years ago

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Try a Rico Royal Graftonite B3 mouthpiece with a Rovner Dark ligature. The mouthpiece sells for around $20, and believe it or not, it's a great piece! If you're looking for a warm, dark tone, I think you would be very pleased with it. The Otto Link 6 is fairly dark as far as metal pieces go, but you'll get a warmer sound from a hard rubber or graftonite piece than a metal piece. A lot of players back in the 1940's and 50's really liked the King horns. I pulled up a site with some old ads and here are a few names: Cannonball Adderly Herb Geller Georgie Auld Yep! If it's good enough for Cannonball...

Reply To Post Yahoo!

5. by blackfrancis
      (396 posts)

19 years ago

Alto or tenor? A metal berg is great for tenor- make sure you try different chambers and lays. Links are good too. What do you want to sound like? Lots of choices out there so see if you can go to a big, well stocked store and try a broad range. Take notes. In other words, go shopping! I have no feedback on the Zephyr from personal experience (I play a Super 20 tenor), but I have some friends that love 'em. I know I love my King.

Reply To Post

6. by blackfrancis
      (396 posts)

19 years ago

Reply To Post

7. by blackfrancis
      (396 posts)

19 years ago

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

The Zephyr is a great horn. I have a Zephyr Baritone, and a Super 20 tenor. I think the Super 20 and Zephyr are also similar, except that the Super 20 is a little fancier with a couple additional pro features. For tenor, I use a Super Tone Master on my Conn 10M and my Super 20 tenor and it really sounds great on either horn. You can buy the Otto Link 6 gold plated metal for under $120 online through www.giardinelli.com They are part of Musician's Friend, and I have bought from them before. For alto, I like a hard rubber piece best. I never thought I'd admit to liking a Selmer mouthpiece, but my S 80 really sounds good and plays really easy on my 6M and my Selmer SBA. Otto Link also makes a really nice hard rubber piece for alto.

Reply To Post Yahoo!