Saxophone Forum

by joe812119
(18 posts)
19 years ago

best mic to use

i was wondering what type of microphone would give me a clear rich smooth sound. better yet a stan getz sound, for tenor sax, and it doesnt have to be a clip on mic. thanks joe in n.h.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

19 years ago

Re: best mic to use

I have a problem with your post. You shouldnt be using a mic to acheive a sound unless you are specifically using an effects reed of some sort. If you are trying to emulate Getz's sound, start listening to his music lots - and I mean lots. that will eventually start premeating(sp?) your music. But anyway go with a basic condenser mic, that will be good for sax.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

19 years ago

Go to Sweetwater music on the web and look at their selection of mic preamps. A simple one with tube amplification will warm up the sound and shouldn't cost that much.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

19 years ago

Here's a link. Make sure you get one with a tube. ART has one for $49.97. You just have to make sure it has the kind of interface you need. www.sweetwater.com/store/category.php?&c=662&sb=catalogprice&so=asc

Reply To Post

1. by jazaddict
          (41 posts)

19 years ago

Are you talking recording or amplifying at a gig? For recording I've had great results with a Rode NT II. A pre-amp will help (I have an ART Tube MP), and the Tube Warmth setting on the Art DI/O REALLY steps up the end result. THere are so many variables at gigs that its hard to say what mic is best. Depends on the room, the PA, the volume, etc. I use an SM58 mostly because its inexpensive (so the drunken bozo who knocks it over doesn't initiate another re-financing of my house) and sounds adequate. Any mixing board with 2 bands of EQ can compensate a 58 to a room.

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I've tried many Shure mics; the SM-57, SM-58 and Beta 58A, an EV 257, a couple Audio Technicas, including a clip on corded model, and a Sennheiser cordless clip on model. I don't care for the Audio technica mics at all. They sound very thin; no low end at all, and when you try to compensate with an eq, they sound very muddy. The EV didn't have enough hi frequency response to suit me. I originally bought the EV as a vocal mic, but I didn't like it for vocals either. It's great for micing guitar though. The Sennheiser sounds ok for a cordless. I can't get enough low end to suit me though; that's typical of cordless condensors. It's far better than any other cordless mic I have tried, but I think i paid too much for it! The Shure SM-57 is too directional. The SM-58 and Beta 58A have the best sound. I especially like the Beta. I use a Beta for vocals also. The Beta 58A is like an SM-58 only it has a little better hi-end frequency response, and can take a little more power without feeding back. They retail for aroung $180, but I've seen them as cheap as $140 through companies like Musicians Friend, Guitar Center, and Music123. Just a few ideas. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

19 years ago

get a good mic, something that won't distort at high volumes and stuff. also look into filters and effects if you want a different sound. They are also fun to play with! good luck!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

4. by Jazzpath
          (19 posts)

19 years ago

I also prefer the SM 58 Beta for live gigs. It's tough to kill and has a better sound than the 57 or regular 58. You can find new ones on ebay for around $120.... It won't make you sound like stan getz though. Longtones are the best thing for that...

Reply To Post

5. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

for that classic Getz sound, a Shure 545S hi gain mic sounds really good. They're getting really hard to find now though. They look a lot like an SM57 only they attach to a stand and have a switch. I have one from about 1970 that belonged to my dad. It's a very good hi-gain mic, but I prefer the newer style Lo Z mics

Reply To Post Yahoo!