Saxophone Forum

by Simon Clark
(1 post)
19 years ago

Conn alto 1955

Hi there saxmen and women, I've just bought an alto sax C.G.Conn serial no. 537585 (1955 I think). It is in need of repair - some dents and new pads and corks, but in very good condition otherwise. The pads are conn so I think maybe original and the keys show very little wear. There is no engraving other than the name (C.G.Conn, made in USA). I bought this sax on impulse - I play a Yamaha tenor and have never touched an alto before - but I've heard great things about playability and sound of these 50's conns and the price was very reasonable (about $200). My questions are - what is the model? Is it worth a proper rebuild? Pictures are available ([email protected]) if needed. Any help or advice gratefully accepted as a rebuild would cost me twice as much as the sax cost in the first place- and I could just replace the corks and pads myself.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Conn alto 1955

If it doesn't have an engraving, my guess is that it is an early directors model. Send me some pics. It might possibly be a 6M however. Does it have the underslung octave key? It should have the model number engraved near the thumbrest and serial number. If it's not a 6M, it's a Director's model which was later called a 14M. 1955 was the first year for the Directors model

Reply To Post Yahoo!