Saxophone Forum

by mark4583
(9 posts)
19 years ago

Sticky pad on new Sax

I just got a new Selmer AS300 from a web site about two weeks ago. One pad wants to stick a little, is there a remedy for this or will it just work itself out on its own?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by YanagisawA-901
    (312 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Sticky pad on new Sax

i kinda had the same problem with my yani.. for some reason tho i think my spit is naturally sticky.. so they have a sticky sound anyway.. buutt thats beside the point.. new pads do tend to have a lil stick since its pretty much brand new leather.. it should work itself out.. my band teacher freaked me out hes like "damn, u got rooked, they sold u a shit sax the pads are sticky" but he sed all saxes are like that.. im not quite sure im judging from minimal experience and my sax teacher

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by saxismyaxe
      (575 posts)

19 years ago

The acute sticking pad problem is a new phenomenon, due to changes in the way the leather is tanned and treated. International environmental and work health/safety standards have necessitated a change in the chemicals used to finish pads, and as a result they stick like the dickens! I have found that Prestini pads are some of the worse offenders, although they are good pads in all other respects. Products like Charlie A's Gig Dust, Crud patches, WD40, Old English polish and the old dollar bill trick, where a bill is gently pulled between the tone hole and closed pad/key can all help to alleviate this condition. However, I too am ever frustrated with these new pads and the sticking hassles they now present, as are most other working saxophonists/collectors. Good luck.

Reply To Post

1. by someguy
        (80 posts)

19 years ago

okay, I leaned this from an older repair guy , buy a bottle of Formby's "Build up remover", put it on a rag or Q tip then clean the pad and tone hole openning. Sorry to all the repair guys out there, us average joes need to save a buck. You can buy it at Lowes, H depot. I have a kielwerth sx90r and that has stopped it. The liquid is green in color and will not tarnish your finish or damage the pads at all. He said he has been doing this for 25 yrs. Hope it helps.

Reply To Post