Saxophone Forum

by hselmer9966
(31 posts)
19 years ago

College Questions

I'm a junior in high school and am beginning to look for colleges. I've look at a couple(N.E. Conservatory, Mich. St., Uni. of Mich.). I know that Bowling Green(Sampen) has produced some amazing saxophonist, but I know that Sampen is a big contemporary guy, and I hate contemporary music. I plan on Majoring in Classical Preformance, and know that Joe Lulloff is what some would call the greatest saxophonist out right now, and Sinta is, well he's freakin Don Sinta, and Radnofsky is quit good as well, so if anyone has any suggestions please let me know about them. Thank You. Peace.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Quartertone
    (7 posts)

19 years ago

Re: College Questions

Florida State University- Patrick Meighan. University of Southern Mississippi-Dr. Lawrence Gwozdz. Also a great music school for the money. Fredonia State- Wildy Zumwalt Northern Arizona University- Jonathan Bergeron The first two in the list have produced some especially fine players. USM, in particular, boasts two fine saxophone teachers, Dr. Lawrence Gwozdz, one of the top classical teachers in the country and Larry Panella, an awesome jazz saxophone teacher who has a profound understanding of , and ability for, improvising.

Reply To Post

1. by PodiumKC
      (1 post)

17 years ago

Sounds like you are a Rascher fan - every school you mention is a Rascher school.....regretfully, for you, the best schools for sax are in order - University of Michigan, Don Sinta, Northwestern, Hemke, Bowling Green, Sampen, Indiana, Otis..... all of the rest are fighting for 5th through 27th......

Reply To Post

2. by discipleofsigurd
    (2 posts)

18 years ago

I am a student of Dr. Wildy Zumwalt, I have been for several years. I am telling you if you want a solid classical education on the saxophone, SUNY Fredonia is the place for you. We also have the amazing Bruce Johnstone so don't think you'll miss out on any jazz. For saxophone, you will not find a more solid education.

Reply To Post

3. by Yardbird8403
    (7 posts)

18 years ago

He may not be the best player in the world (by that I mean not as good as Dale underwood or Rousseau, but still good) but as a teacher he is the best I have experienced. Lynn Klock teaches over at the university of Amherst or UMASS for short you can find out about him by going here

Reply To Post

4. by Ender
    (5 posts)

18 years ago

If classical is what you're interested in: -Suny at Potsdam (Timothy McAllister; enough said) -[UMI and MI State; though becareful, if you go to UMI you might not study full time with Donald Sinta as an undergrad, so ask around, find out how that works, this will be true of some of the larger universities you may look into) -Lawrence University at Appleton Wisconsin (Steven jordheim, hes a good player, excellent teacher, hes very well liked by his students ( i heard first hand when i was looking at that school) -University of Arizona (Brian Sacawa, new this year and possibly taking over from Kelland Thomas (who is also a fantastic Timothy McAllister calibur player) and excellent teacher and player, -University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Debra Richtmeyer) -[New England Conservatory] -Otis Murphy (i think hes still at Indiana University-anyone know?) -NOrth Carolina School of ARts (Taimur Sullivan, his playing rivals Timothy McAllisters) University of Massachusettes (Lynn Klock) -Peabody Conservatory (Gary Louie; again, fanatastic player, his students seem to do well learnign under him, have won competitions, etc.) You seem pretty well on top of this so I may be wasting time to say that you should personally visist each teacher, take a lesson, and attend a masterclass/studio class at each college. See who you work well with and see whos personality you get along with. Goodluck

Reply To Post

5. by YanagisawA-901
    (312 posts)

19 years ago

check out florida and virginia.. a lot of great musicians that i kno went to college in either of those schools.. the ones i know of in VA are virginia commonwealth and james madison U.. i forget the one in florida tho.. maryland has peabody.. NY has juliard haha..

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by tenor562
      (297 posts)

19 years ago

U of M isawesome. One word, Don SInta, and you know you're not going to get a bad education. I'm from near there and they are known nationwide for their music program, and their marching band performs exceptionally well too. Don Sinta's a genius, and many pros have studied with him in the past, for example Branford Marsalis. It's a good area and has two good jazz clubs that you can jam at too. -tenor562

Reply To Post

1. by phathorn
        (165 posts)

19 years ago

ok, insofar as contemporary lit. you're going to have to get used to it, since pieces like Distances and the albright sonata are becoming standards. Sinta is excellent (bias showing through, I studied with him) , Allen Rippe @ Scheidt School of Music, U of Memphis is a Sinta protege and also excellent (bias again), Tim McCallister at Crane School of Music is the hotshot right now, Otis Murphy at Indiana is excellent, Grif Campbell @ LSU also excellent. Talk to as many of them as you can and find the one who fits you best

Reply To Post

2. by straightj23
      (103 posts)

17 years ago

I would recommend giving my college a try. Look up Miami University: Oxford in Oxford, OH. I am currently a music education major and love it here. The new saxophone professor allows you to choose what styles you want to emphasize on. You will really fall in love with the atmosphere and chemistry that exists in our music department. Give us a try! I've been to Bowling Green state and have met Sampen. However, while their music program is good, I never liked the university. It is a university surrounded by literally nothing! The music building is confusing as heck. I know someone who is a junior there and he still get's lost in that building. There are a lot of other things that I don't like about it, but I don't want to go all day.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by lilleyjl
      (1 post)

19 years ago

Virginia Commonwealth has Al Regni who is the saxophonist with the New York Philharmonic, New York Ballet, and is the founder of the American Saxophone Quartet. I've been taking from him for the past year and he is a great teacher that is very open minded to all kinds of music, and has a great understanding of the skills necessary to be a professional musician.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxandSound
        (3 posts)

19 years ago

Granted you don't like contemporary music yet, keyword yet, but try looking at Carrie Koffman at the Hartt School. She was a student of James Riggs and Eric Nestler at UNT and studied with Sinta as well. Best of luck finding someone that fits your personality.

Reply To Post

1. by david kofi dogbe
          (1 post)

17 years ago

please send me the complete fingerings for the alto and the tenon saxophones

Reply To Post

2. by skriggety
        (4 posts)

19 years ago

Depending on what are you're looking to end up in, there are a couple of great programs in the Rocky Mountains you should check out. Tom Myer at the University of Colorado has a fantastic studio, and is a fine jazz player as well as incredibly knowledgable about classical saxophone. The University of Northern Colorado has a stong tradition, but has been going through a bit of a rebuilding. Andrew Dahlke took over for Roger Greenberg, and I think Dahlke will bring the studio back to prominence-Greenberg seems much happier being the face behind the new P. Mauriat saxophones. (My secret insider tip): If you're looking for a good bargain and a great undergrad education, I strongly recommend the University of Wyoming. It's a fairly modestly sized studio (10-20), and Scott Turpen, who teaches there, will provide anybody with about as good of an undergraduate education as there is around. It's an up and coming program that will be one of the finest in the west in another 5 years. As far as undergrad goes, the inside of a practice room looks the same no matter where you are, so I wouldn't recommend spending a boatload of money on it, save that for a grad program, which any of those three teachers will prepare you very well for. Wyoming costs about $10,000 a year while the two Colorado schools are both about $20,000. Good Luck no matter where you go- College is fun, but being a music major means you pretty much have no life for a few years, get used to it.

Reply To Post

1. by west
          (242 posts)

19 years ago

USC has an astounding music department. I am personally going for Chapman University. It's in Orange city California

Reply To Post

2. by saxmannwmsu
          (48 posts)

19 years ago

Yup...music major=no life. :) But if you love it, you'll be fine.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by west
            (242 posts)

19 years ago

Our school has had extremely bad luck within the last five years. we've gone through about 1 teacher a year. anyway, the new director is JUST out of college. she majored in music and already has a job. That's pretty lucky for her, i'd say

Reply To Post

1. by thesonandall
              (2 posts)

19 years ago

I'll add a few things here: University of Wyoming - I have taken a few lessons with Dr. Turpen and he's palyed with my big band a few times, fine player and excellent teacher. I will warn you though that while he is a good teacher, IMHO, a lot of UW's faculty are sub-par. This is changing however. I would also add to the Rocky Mountain list: CU. Pete Sommer is there, one of the finest players around. I currently study with Andrew Dahlke at UNC after a year at UNT, and he's a fantastic teacher, both for classical and jazz. But, if you want to really see where you stand, go to UNT. There are few places where you can be around so many talented people. If you can make it there, you're well on your way.

Reply To Post

2. by soupzill
              (7 posts)

19 years ago

JULLIARD!!!

Reply To Post

3. by thesonandall
              (2 posts)

19 years ago

Julliard is an alright school. Very cream of the crop though, which isn't my style. I'd rather be around a LOT of people than just around the CoC. Also, while Julliard does have a jazz program, it's new, and not nearly as reknowned as some other programs. Don't get me wrong, they have some stellar faculty, but..... it's not what Julliard is known for, nor will it be anytime soon. I still stand behind my original post.

Reply To Post

4. by barimachine
              (323 posts)

19 years ago

julliard has a VERY good elitist jazz program 4 of my teachers students make up the jazz ensemble there the cream of the crop go there BUT the auditions in my opionion and from what my friends who go there tell me are MUCH harder than any of the other auditions you have to be very proficient in flute and clarinet to get it its part of the audition they will ask you all your modes or off of the 21 most common scales and you have to just go and play them like they say G# locrian and you play it like that its also atleast 6 or 8 songs in the pre screening

Reply To Post

2. by barimachine
            (323 posts)

19 years ago

hahah yea right... im double majoring in music and computer science or will be ...hopefully thats no life

Reply To Post

1. by Radjammin
              (255 posts)

18 years ago

I have a BA in music and a minor in Comp sci. The 2 degrees don't really lead to a double major. No overlapping coursework. Your best bet is that your school has a Music Tech degree, or plan to be in school for 5-6 years. You might be better off getting a Undergrad in Music and a post graduate certificate in Comp Sci. That way you can still have a degree in 4 years, and then another year to finish the Certificate. You will learn that once you have 1 undergrad you don't need a second. Even if you want to continue with Graduate Studies to a master, a Post Graduate Certificate and a valid Undergrad will be sufficent for most Graduate programs.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM