Saxophone Forum

by jaggtagg7
(40 posts)
19 years ago

mpc suggestions

i am a high school senior and have played alto for 4 years, but am still playing on the "stock" piece. right now i am playing in the pit orcherestra for my school's play and i will be playing in marching band in the next year at college. i am looking for a decent mpc that will improve my tone with out a major change and hopefully within the range of $50-$80. btw the stock piece is a yamaha 4c and i use size 3 Vandorean traditionals. my sax is a YAS-23, Yamaha student sax.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by The_MarkVI
    (80 posts)

19 years ago

Re: mpc suggestions

hmmm....Get $400 and buy a vintage brilhart. Just kidding with you. First off the Selmer C* soloist is a good choice but their are others too. Selmer C* or D Soloist Selmer S80 C* E. Rousseau New Classic or Classic NC5 or 4R But if your willing to spend $80-$110 DEFENTLY go for a Selmer Larry Teal C*, Caravan, or rascher

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Absolutely DO NOT buy a Selmer mouthpiece! Especially not an S80! Get an Otto Link Tone Edge hard rubber piece. They sound great! They have a nice open chamber for a full sound and great projection, but they still sound darker than a metal piece. They run about $65, but well worth it. WWBW sells them, and so does Giardinelli.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by mrd
        (137 posts)

19 years ago

Otto Link Tone Edge

No way can this be worth it. Ebay selling this for $500 with more bids to come. Are they all nuts? No mouthpiece is worth $500!

Reply To Post

1. by tenor562
          (297 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Otto Link Tone Edge

theirs otto link slants that go for over 1000. That's more than most people's horns.

Reply To Post

2. by peter090
        (155 posts)

19 years ago

Spend the money on some private lessons and let the teacher know you are mostly interested in improving your tone. Make sure they try out your horn to make sure it is mechanically sound. A stock yamaha mouthpiece is plenty than adequate for what you are doing.

Reply To Post

1. by YanagisawA-901
          (312 posts)

19 years ago

connjim.. dont really wanna sound mean.. but people are constantly askn for what kind of mouthpiece they should try and ur insanely biased on that one mouthpiece. just because it works for u doesnt mean it will work for other people. like i tried out a kielwerth sx 90 about a year ago, ive advanced a lot since then, but i couldnt play it because my air support really really suckd and kielwerths have a considerably larger bow section. s80's arent bad pieces. i own one and get a decent tone out of it. not the tone i want for jazz but w/e.. but i just think being insanely biased is annoying. tell them a bunch of pieces uv known to work well and he can investigate himself.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

3. by Herb
        (1 post)

19 years ago

Stick with the Yamaha 4C - it's the best mpc. for the YAS-23 alto. Try a medium or medium soft La Voz reed. I play a Selmer Superbalanced Action tenor with a rubber Wolfe Tayne #6 mpc in a swing band -am a player for 55 years!

Reply To Post

4. by Philo114
        (6 posts)

19 years ago

Well, your at the cross roads of what am I going to do now. You've been playing four years and I don't know how advance you are, but if your playing in the pit, you have to have some reading and performing ability. In my day, the most popular mouth pieces were the Otto Link metal, the Brillhart, Berg Larson, Wolfe Tayne, etc... Today there are so many mouth pieces, even I don't know where to turn to, so I keep playing my Otto Links, but have broken away and I'm trying a new metal mouth piece on the scene. I will tell you what I think of that one in the future, but you need to find a store that will let you try different mouth pieces and just run through a host of different opennings and materials to find the right one for you. It may be an Otto Link, or one of the new mouth pieces on the market. In other words, if your present mouth piece is not giving you what you feel you need as you are developing. You need to choose a mouth piece that's going to forefill your needs now and in the future especially when you replace this yamaha for a professional horn. Mouth pieces are like wife's, if your not careful you'll wind up with a box full of mouth pieces you'll never use... Hope this helps and God bless. Phil

Reply To Post AIM