Saxophone Forum

by kaleid
(18 posts)
19 years ago

Vintage Resto : The Saga Begins

Hi all. I have jumped into the deep end, hoping that all your knowledge will guide me... I am now the proud owner of a sorely neglected and completely implayable Conn Stencil. Where should I begin to look (books, sites, videos etc..) to learn how to rebuild, refurbish, repad this wonderful horn? I will need all new springs for sure. Is there just a general batch I can purchase, of varying thickness, length, spring rate? Lube. I need to learn about oiling. Pads. Don't even know where to start, but I'm in it for the long haul and am willing to spend $$ to learn to do it right. Any direction, advice etc is appreciated. How do i remove rusted/frozen screws? Thanks for your encouragement and assistance as I venture on this long and difficult journey!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Vintage Resto : The Saga Begins

not sure if you will get the kind of encouragment you want. unless it's telling you to take it to a good tech. to find out if it's worth it. sounds like a mountain of work and not easy stuff. just pads and set-up takes alot of work, but springs and frozen screws, don't think i would want to tackle that, at least on the first try. check out steve goodson, sax gourmet he has some good advice and instruction on basic stuff. good luck!

Reply To Post

1. by kaleid
      (18 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks. I've wandered across Sax Gourmet - bookmarked it. Many of us have 'hobbies'.. The horn will never sound like a Selmer.. But it will be mine. I'm know I'm in a 'players forum', so the experience of rebuilding may not be the focus, and honestly, the horn may never play again. However, I am a firm believer in diving right in, and learning by doing. If I never get it to play, so be it - it looks great sitting in the stand by the fireplace. However, I am committed to spending the time and money to give it my best shot. Worst case, I'm thinking I'll disassemble it (90% done alrealy) and clean it over the next couple of months. Reassemble it and take it to a shop to get it repadded. Then work on getting it to play correctly. Who knows, I'm not yet ready to give up, and have no intention of taking it to someone to get it to play. Again, thanks for the suggestion to SaxGourmet!

Reply To Post

1. by kaleid
        (18 posts)

19 years ago

www.ferreestools.com

Reply To Post

1. by kneejerk52
          (397 posts)

19 years ago

musicmedic.com may also help with tools and repair kits