Saxophone Forum

by kaleid
(18 posts)
19 years ago

Conn Stencil - What year, model?

I have a Conn Stencil and would like some assistance on guessing the year and comparable Conn model to help with pad replacement, spare parts etc. www.jeeptraveler.com/Gallery/thumbnails.php?album=31 Clearly the SN range is going to be of no use to identify it as a Conn, but would like to know if there may be a pad set for a vintage Conn that would match this stencil. Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kaleid
    (18 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Conn Stencil - What year, model?

Reply To Post

1. by mosplace
      (26 posts)

19 years ago

I´d say it is a New Wonder 1 model, becauce of the way the left hand table looks. That would put your horn somewhere between 1917-1924. Hope that helps you a little bit.

Reply To Post

1. by kaleid
        (18 posts)

19 years ago

The New Wonder I is also referred to as a Chu Berry?

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

19 years ago

Although the less informed lump the Series I into the mix, it is actually only the series II which is rightfully nicknamed the "Chu Berry" model. This is made all the more interesting (and confusing!) with the knowledge that Leon "Chew" or later "Chu" Berry actually played a Conn Transitional model through the pinicle of his career; i.e. the 1930's leading up to his death in 1940.

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Acording to the serial number, this saxophone was made in 1916, which theoretically would make this a Wonder model, not a New Wonder. It may have many of the features of the later New Wonder however. Typically the Wonder models did not have pearl inlays on the keys, which this horn appears to have. It's definatley an oldie! Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by kaleid
          (18 posts)

19 years ago

I was hesitant to correlate the SN to any Conn SN list due to it being a stencil. I wasn't sure if the SN Sequence would apply.

Reply To Post

4. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Somehow I missed that it was a stencil. I thought it was a Conn. The Serial number may not coincide with the Conn numbers, but I would imagine it's pretty close. I would bet that this sax was made sometime between 1916 and 1921.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by mosplace
        (26 posts)

19 years ago

Nope, no Chu Berry. The Chu Berry horns where the New Wonder Series II ca. 1924 - 1930 (serial number 143 xxx - 237 xxx). Characaristics: nailefile G# cluster, rolled tone holes and most of the time microtuner necks on the altos.

Reply To Post