Saxophone Forum

by PIP
(29 posts)
19 years ago

???????Drum Major???????

Hi! I've been considering auditioning for drum major for a while. Today I decided that I want to and went and told my band director. He told me that I could audition but he wasn't sure if he would pick me because I might be needed on my instrument. I feel extremly irritated that the reason I might not get it is because I've worked my butt off for several years to be the best. Is anyone else out there first chair and drum major? What do you think I should do?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jaggtagg7
    (40 posts)

19 years ago

Re: ???????Drum Major???????

we had the same problem in my band this year. Our best drummer tried out for drum major, but he was also the best of the ppl that tried out so he did get the position.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by Cannon
    (23 posts)

19 years ago

If you are an able conductor and can distance yourselves from the other people trying out, you should get picked. We had our 1st chair all-state sax as one of our majors...

Reply To Post

1. by diminishedpower
      (25 posts)

19 years ago

Our best trumpet player went out last year and so what the directors did is on the pieces they really needed him, he went down and played. We had 3 majors so the other two were sufficiant.

Reply To Post

1. by KSsaxophone
        (57 posts)

19 years ago

I am a drum major next year, and I am second chair to a senior right now (I'm just a freshman) I guess next year I would have been first, but we have plenty other good sax players so I don't think our director thought it would a be that big a problem.

Reply To Post

2. by mbkatc230
      (11 posts)

19 years ago

Go for it! My daughter is first chair alto sax and section leader this year, will be drum major next year.Your director needs to pick the best conductor regardless of the instrument they play. GOOD LUCK

Reply To Post

3. by barisax999
      (400 posts)

19 years ago

it pains me to say this, but saxophones are not very important in the marching band, id say hell ya go for it. in our band we had our lead alto as drum major, and then our lead tenor switched to mellophone, and it worked perfectly fine

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM