Saxophone Forum

by Jazz Man
(9 posts)
19 years ago

Selmer Professional S80 C* Alto Sax Mouthpiece - NEW!

hellp me, i was just offerd a Selmer Professional S80 C* Alto Sax Mouthpiece brand new for 79$ he says it is worth 140$ is he telling the truth? shoude i get it if i dont have a selmer sax?im in grade 10 and have been playing for 5 years, is it to advanced for me?i need to no fast , its a limited time ofer ...i cant spell

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Selmer Professional S80 C* Alto Sax Mouthpiece - NEW!

Ha, 79 is no major deal. 140 is the MSRP, or manufacturer's suggested retail price. S80s are very easy to get for about 80 bucks. That being said, S80 is a great piece for those at any point in their learning. It is not to advanced for you. Next thing is, It is not a problem in any way to have a Selmer mpc with another brand sax in general. But with the small square chamber, it can some cause intontion problems on some vintage horns Also, I would suggest in general despite it being good stuff for the most part, to not buy into the selmer Hype. It is all over hyped, and the 80$ you are planning to pay for the mouthpiece is mostly for the name on a mass produced mouthpiece without the greatest quality control, but not the worst still by a long shot. Go if you are looking to get a new mouthpiece, try a Morgan. Ralph Morgan's mpcs are much cheaper, and are all handmade and tested by Ralph Morgan himself, and are great pieces. Hope this helps

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I wouldn't buy an S80! Too many much better mouthpieces to choose from for less money. Go with the Otto Link Tone Edge piece for around $65. I just bought one for my alto and it sounds REALLY good. The design of the Selmer S-80 mouthpiece piece doesn't work to well with many horns, including some of the older Selmers.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by karebear1012
        (395 posts)

19 years ago

I know I could do better ...but I love my C*... makes up for my messed up saxophone i guess. for jazz, I use a Meyer 6 (my director told me to get it for jazz). $80 is a reasonable price for the C* though.

Reply To Post

1. by mbkatc230
          (11 posts)

19 years ago

My daughter also uses a C* for concert/marching and a meyer for Jazz. She had the C* sent off to someone by her private lesson teacher and had it reshaped for her mouth - she has been extremely happy with it. $80.00 seems a pretty good price

Reply To Post