Saxophone Forum

by clueless
(2 posts)
19 years ago

Elkhart Sax

I bought a sax at an auction and am trying to get some information on it. It's a brushed silver body, the keys look like mother of pearl. On the bell it says "The Elkhart" and "Elkhart-Ind-USA" in sort of an art deco floral engraving. The serial number is 8505. There are no other markings. I'm told it could be from the 1920s or 30s. It's in remarkably good condition if it is that old. My question is about it's value, ie: should I give it to my 9 year old to learn on, or sell it to someone who knows what they're doing with it and get her a newer sax?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxismyaxe
    (575 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Elkhart Sax

Buescher made a second tier (intermediate) line of horns know as The Elkhart, and it is very possible that this is what you have. To quote Pete Hales: " The Buescher Elkhart is sort-of a stencil: an Elkhart-labeled horn is an older True Tone model, made with the same old tooling, but made in the 1930's (or so). The Elkhart, however, is engraved as such and was available in lacquer." Without seeing the horn, I would not wish to be held to that, however. Elkhart was the center of American musical instrument making by the 1920's, and there were many stencils and other lines of horns by various makers that used Elkhart in their name. I am also sceptical about the year of manufacture based on the serial number you provided. Buescher was one of the few makers whose stencil and second tier line of horns matched the serial number sequence of their first tier lines. Given this, your serial number would indicate a horn made around 1910. This is awfully early, and I think your horn would more likely date around the late 1920s through the 1930s, or so. If you could provide a few pictures, this would be very easy to clear up.

Reply To Post

2. by Dave Dix
    (421 posts)

19 years ago

Also elkhart was manufacturing before buescher bought them out. Usually the elkhart true tone line had BY BUESCHER below the elkhart name and the same sided bell key models (20A/30A) HAD A PICTURE OF AN ELK HEAD ON THE SAX BELL. Both models maybe classed as intermediate horns but do play rather well. Value is not a lot but still a good horn to learn on and far better then some of the new modern horns Dave

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
      (575 posts)

19 years ago

Hi Kay, I've reviewed the photos you sent me, and your horn is indeed a Buescher made ELKHART, based on their TRUE TONE horn. Yours is a nice example, and definitely a keeper. Hi Dave, I see you are getting your fix here too while SOTW is still down, LOL.

Reply To Post

1. by Dave Dix
        (421 posts)

19 years ago

Glad its a buescher made elkhart as they are far better then the older elkhart own saxophones. Hi saxismyaxe,yes i was getting withdrawal symptoms and i need to ask about an old martin horn Dave

Reply To Post

1. by clueless
          (2 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks, Mark, Michael and Dave! You guys are great. Carolyn gets to keep her beautiful sax and I no longer feel like I'm shortchanging her in any way. Thanks again, Clueless

Reply To Post