Saxophone Forum

by KSsaxophone
(57 posts)
19 years ago

Silver or Laquered

I have been playing on an old selmer as300 for years now and my parents are finally going to help buy me a new horn. After testing a bunch of different horns, I decided that I liked the Yamaha custom 82Z the best. Now, at the place where I take my lessons, they just got in a laquered one and after tax, we could have it for around $2600. I have played it and it is a really nice horn. However, at WWBW they have a silver 82z for the exact same price after shipping. When we first started shopping for saxophones, I kinda wanted a silver one, but ruled out the possibility after seeing no shop carried a silver saxophone. But now that I see that I could have a silver one online for the same price as a laquered one from a local shop, I kind am leaning toward buying the silver one. But I am a little reluctant, because I know that the sax I already played was really nice and I don't know if the sax I will order online will sound as good. I know I can send it back for fairly cheap, but I still don't know. Can anyone help me? I kinda have to decide by tommorow, because we have to take the 82z that we were trying out back to the shop by then. Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by bariguy
    (25 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Silver or Laquered

i'm pretty sure you can return the sax up to 70 days after you buy it. you will have to pay a restocking fee, but as long as it isnt damaged you should be able to return it if you are not satisfied.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by tenor562
      (297 posts)

19 years ago

Buying from WWBW is a really good experience. However, when you order online, you haven't tried the exact horn out. Every horn is different, even if it's the same model number Yamaha's tend to be very consistent though.. Woodwind Brasswind is really good about returns, and you could always return the horn if you wanted. Another thing to put in mind is that silver horns are quite brighter than lacquered horns. A silver horn may have more trouble fitting in with a concert band then a lacquered horn. You could always attempt to make the sax darker with mouthpiece choice, but if the lacquer plays well already, you might as well keep it. Plus, it's a larger hassle to order out of state, and supporting your local music store is always a good thing. Good Luck -tenor562

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I'd probably suggest the silver, but either is a GREAT horn! I really like the Yamaha Custom 82Z. I never considered Yamaha to be one of the better saxophones, but their newer models like the 475, 62, and the Custome 82Z are not only fantastic horns, but a great value. I'd take a Yamaha 82Z over a Selmer Ref. 84 any day. Hell, I'd take a 62II over a Ref!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by KSsaxophone
          (57 posts)

19 years ago

Well we just ordered one of each (laquered and siler) off of WWBW and I'll try them both out!

Reply To Post