Saxophone Forum

by Dirty_Reggae
(55 posts)
19 years ago

I need a question answered by an expert.

Hey everyone. I recently came into possesion of a very old Buescher Elkhart. Its missing some pads, the lower cage is broken, and one of the keys looks like it was hit with a hammer over and over again. the local sax shop in my town has a fixed price for fixing saxes. It is a little over a hundred dollars for an overhaul. Is it worth fixing this tenor? I need a tenor anyways, but would i be better off buying a new one all together? Thanks for your help.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: I need a question answered by an expert.

A little over a hundred dollars for an overhaul? Are you kiddng me? A good tenor overhaul runs around $700! Is this a Buescher sax made in Elkhart or an Elkhart stencil made by Buescher? If it is a Buescher sax such as a True Tone model, it's definately worth putting some money into. The Elkhart and other stencils are not worth as much to resell, but they're great players. The overhaul price they quoted you is too cheap. The pads and material alone would cost more than $100. A competent tech could repair the key and cage easy enough. Overhauled, a Buescher True Tone is worth $1000-$1200. A stencil would be worth $750-$950. Even figuring $700 for repairs, you couldn't buy a better sax for that! Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Dirty_Reggae
      (55 posts)

19 years ago

Re: I need a question answered by an expert.

Alright. I think ill do it. Thanks for the help, really though, they will do the labor for that cheap. The materials wil probably cost me extra though. Hes a very competant repair man, but im a very close friend. Thanks a ton for your advice.

Reply To Post